News:

COMMERCIAL SITES: Please note - if WANT A BANNER LINK? displayed on this site, please contact FEMMEFIGHT

"Like Mother, Like Daughter" by J. Coleman - Part 2 (End)

• 27 Replies

Offline CecilBDmented

• God Member
Re: It cracks me up how seriously folks take themselves on this board.
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2014, 07:44:24 PM »
I'm not worried about legal ramifications. If asked by anyone with a legal claim to it, I'd certainly take it down. My concern was more of a ethical manner. The man made a awesome story and I wouldn't want to seem disrespectful.

I agree.  What 'legal' ramifications could there be in modifying a FvsF fictional story?  How unbelievably retarded can people get?  Everyone understands the "Prime Directive" is a science fictional concept from Star Trek - not a real-life law that needs to be observed? Right?  I mean some semper-fi fcktard logs onto this board with a profile pic of a soldier with a mud caked face and a cigarette hanging out of their mouths and expects to be cyber saluted and treated like they served in the Gulf War - after trying to spark up interest in female dildo fights and dock-injectable penis spurt-into-scrotum competitions between 2 guys, because uhhhm - that's what the guys chatted about in the foxhole while under fire?  I say modify the mtrhfck out of this story and make it shorter so it doesn't put folks to sleep right after you correct all the name change errors and continuity gaffes. You'd think we were discussing modifications to the King James version the way some of the clowns here react.  2 funny!!

Offline Fw190 A

• More cowbell!
Re: "Like Mother, Like Daughter" by J. Coleman - Part 2 (End)
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2014, 10:28:47 PM »
Trashing veterans on Memorial Day weekend? Classic pro rasslin' heel behavior. Hotstuff Eddie Gilbert would be so proud.

Getting back this story, no matter whether it's your cup of tea or not, it is still very well written, despite the inconsistencies. After all, look at how many people clearly have been moved by it.

Whether it's against board rules, infringes on copyright laws or whatever,something just smells funny about making serious modifications to another author's story, whether he's still with us or not. If you can, see if you can write a better one. I know I can't.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 10:31:40 PM by Fw190 A »

Offline sinclairfan

• God Member
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2014, 11:42:09 PM »
Cecil--I mean this constructively, but isn't the King James Bible itself a modification, written 1500 years after the original Bible, and 300 years after the Wycliffe English version?

And wasn't the Aeneid a modified version of the Trojan War myth?

The way i see it is that J.Coleman created legendary characters, and writing what-if stories about them is natural.

Offline Nutmeg

• YaBB Administrator
  • God Member
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2014, 12:37:30 AM »
Really if someone were to have a copyright issue, it would likely be the initial post, being it is a presumably unauthorized distribution of the authors work. Since Coleman`s work has been posted here before it is unlikely the site will get a Cease and Desist order in the near future.

I would be more worried of this occurring with known commercial works like fight videos or fights from commercially sold stories. Really if there is money to be lost, it is worth paying a lawyer to prevent that. And the deeper the pockets of the original creator the more likely this will happen because they can afford the lawyers and can afford to make a point.  And if the site did get such an order, I strongly suspect the story would be removed as a matter of course. Really all this is common sense: if you post a commercial work don`t be shocked if the creator or their representatives get mad.

The second concern is Crimsonrash or anyone else doing a modified version of this or any other story AKA Fan fiction. And really, if it is non commercial and not just reproducing a work with slight variations (Doing Lord of the Rings where all you did was change a few characters names but left the text otherwise unaltered) it should fall under noncommercial fair use based on past precedent. And more and more creators are comfortable with it, even seeing it as a way to further promote their works.

End of the day, there likely is nothing to worry about and likely the worst that would happen is a story gets removed even if a creator got pissy.

Offline CecilBDmented

• God Member
Re: I concur completely and couldn't agree more!
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2014, 03:45:00 AM »
Cecil--I mean this constructively, but isn't the King James Bible itself a modification, written 1500 years after the original Bible, and 300 years after the Wycliffe English version?

And wasn't the Aeneid a modified version of the Trojan War myth?

The way i see it is that J.Coleman created legendary characters, and writing what-if stories about them is natural.

Precisely my point as well. My apologies if the KJ comparison skewed it off track but I agree with your conclusion.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 03:49:10 AM by CecilBDmented »

Offline peccavi

• God Member
  • I'm a big brunette bullying b*tch, take me on!
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2014, 09:24:12 AM »
Meg
I am more concerned that other writers on this site - and I have already been contacted-will withdraw their stories and stop posting here if people modify other stories. There are many other sites where they can post.

JP
Blondes are cool Brunettes are Hot!!

Offline Nutmeg

• YaBB Administrator
  • God Member
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2014, 11:13:54 AM »
Meg
I am more concerned that other writers on this site - and I have already been contacted-will withdraw their stories and stop posting here if people modify other stories. There are many other sites where they can post.

JP

That is a vastly different topic than what i posted on. I posted on legality. The same issues of legality that by the way, protect the writers here who write about DC and Marvel comic book characters, the TV Show Deadwood. Star Wars, Star Trek and lord knows what else. If writers here want protections for their own work over and above that, I suggest they discuss it with the owner.

But they should also be cognizant what they are up in arms about. About a person discussing alternate ways of approaching the story including perhaps rewriting some parts. Something he didn't feel comfortable with by the way. Even in TRIBUTE. Not in "this sucks, here is my better version" And he also asked people's thoughts on it. But these writers you speak of didn't give their thoughts when asked.  Discussion of literary ethics and literary criticism? Nice to see the topics which can't be discussed here like adults. So all this over the rather fleeting thoughts of alternate takes on the story, and respectful ones at that?

The people who asked my thoughts on legality were concerned about risks to the site. Not making threats to it if they didn't get their way (not that anyone here would know what that was sicne they refused to voice it publicly).

Offline sinclairfan

• God Member
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2014, 02:37:52 PM »
I hope Gloria and Cheryl go at it in the boutique dressing room, instead of waiting till the end.

Offline sinclairfan

• God Member
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2014, 06:12:14 PM »
I agree on the kids--Holly especially didn't seem to have her heart in it, she was just being egged on by Cheryl.

Let Cheryl have at Gloria.

Offline sinclairfan

• God Member
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2014, 01:08:36 PM »
Still waiting........

Offline ForeShadow

• I seeee yooou...
    • Basement Book Shelf - BWL/BSF Cat/Sexfight FanFiction
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2014, 03:30:14 AM »
Still waiting........

I imagine it will be awhile...writing takes time.  Especially quality writing. : )

Offline sinclairfan

• God Member
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2014, 02:58:32 PM »
Still waiting.......

kjedi1

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2014, 05:20:59 AM »
Bravo on the story! The epic battle between Holly and Brittany made me cringe so many times. Great read!