News:

PRODUCERS & OTHER FORUMS SITES: Please note - you MUST HAVE A RECIPROCAL LINK back to this site is you wish to ADVERTISE your site on this forum. If you do not have a link back to us, we will remove your posts with immiediate effect - 25th April 2010

Kelly and her friends. 29 Faulconbridge Follies

• 3 Replies

Offline peccavi

• God Member
  • I'm a big brunette bullying b*tch, take me on!
Kelly and her friends. 29 Faulconbridge Follies
« on: August 18, 2015, 12:37:32 AM »

Chapter 29Faulconbridge Follies

“Mark Twain was right.  Sir Walter Scott does have a lot to answer for.” Kelly stepped through the front door of Faulconbridge, where we were staying for the weekend. She looked around at the entrance hall to what was once a faux baronial home; a mid-Victorian Gothic monstrosity, complete with moss-covered stone, a turret, battlements and a moat gone dry. It was now a resort and we were staying there for a weekend with Alison and Laurence.

It had been Kelly’s idea.  She’d seen the advertisement for Faulconbridge in the Sailing Club magazine. “Peter, it’s just the place for a long weekend away!  Listen...‘wood fires, hearty meals, horse riding, walking in the woods, golf, tennis, spa’.  It all sounds excellent...just what we need for a short break in early spring. Let’s go with Laurence and Alison.” I’d glanced up, remembering Kelly’s confrontations with Alison last year.  She’d smiled.  ”Yes Peter, I know what you’re thinking. Alison has learnt the error of her ways.”

That wasn’t what I was thinking.  I was thinking that the last time I’d ridden a horse had been in High School.  It had thrown me off and I swore to myself I’d never get on one again. But Kelly was partly right.  I couldn’t see Alison and Kelly getting on well. “Peter,” she’d fixed me with that look that said she wouldn’t be turned away from this idea, “I want to be friends with your friends. So go on...invite them next time you see Laurence.”

I’d voiced my doubts when I met Laurence over a steak. We’d discussed business over the food and when coffee arrived I broached the subject. “Laurence, Kelly wants you and Alison to come spend a weekend with us at Faulconbridge...the resort that advertises in the club magazine. It’s up in the backwoods of Wisconsin. It’ll be our treat, of course.”

Laurence nodded.  “I’ve seen the ad...and that’s very generous of you too.”  He grinned.  “Is it Kelly’s peace offering?”  He hadn’t forgotten what had taken place between Alison and Kelly, any more than I had.

“I wouldn’t say that.  She says Alison’s learned some manners.”

“Is that so?” Laurence smiled. “Yes, I’d love to come and I think Alison would too. You and I are going to have an interesting time. Kelly might be in for a surprise. I’ll tell you – d” Then he stopped.  “No, on second thoughts, I think Alison would like to tell you herself. Will you be at the training leaders’ meeting next Monday?”

I nodded. Ever since I'd graduated from the Sailing Club’s training squad, I'd trained kids in sailing. It was my way of paying my dues to society. For me, it was the same as giving blood.  It was something my father had taught me. His motto as a platoon leader in Vietnam had been ‘God and Right’. I hadn’t followed his Presbyterianism but enough of his ethics had brushed off.  It was always time to do what’s right. Helping kids to sail, especially kids from poorer backgrounds, was right. I knew Laurence felt the same way.

I wondered what Laurence meant by a surprise for Kelly.  All I told Kelly though, was that I’d mentioned her vacation idea to Laurence and that I’d see him and Alison at the Sailing Club training leaders’ meeting. “Make sure you do.  I want you to sell the idea.”

“But Kelly, you’re the marketer.”

She shrugged, then emitted a huge sigh.  “Do I have to do everything?” Then she collapsed in a giggle.

I was glad when the leaders’ meeting came round.

“Hello Ro.  Where's Brendon?” I almost wondered if this was Alison’s surprise. Rowena O'Neill and Brendon Chamberlain were inseparable even if they lived separately, so I was almost shocked to see Rowena sitting alone.

“You silly man...Brendon's presenting the safety talk.  He has to get the vests ready,” Rowena said. I was sure that was a half truth. Rowena's comment was just too glib not to have been rehearsed.

Laurence and Alison's arrival interrupted my thoughts so I put the topic out of my mind. I greeted them, sat down and the meeting proceeded.

Brendon sat with the other presenters, before and after his talk. I nudged Laurence, whispering, “He sat with Ro last year, didn't he?”

Laurence nodded. “Yeah.  Kinda surprised me too.”

Speculation wasn’t going to get me anywhere.  Laurence obviously didn’t know any more than I did so I changed the subject, hoping he’d open up to my probing question.  “Is it as surprising as whatever you say Alison has lined up for Kelly?” He smiled back at me, deliberating ignoring my remark, and nudged me to pay attention to the speakers.

I had to wait till the meeting was over, when I got him and his wife together over coffee.

“So...what's the surprise?” I repeated to both of them.

“Oh Alison...tell him,” laughed Laurence.  “You've got to put him out of his misery...and mine!  He's been bugging me all night.”

“You shouldn't have told him anything,” Alison said reprovingly.

“My dear, you know how he just loves women fighting.”

“Almost as much as you do, hun,” she retorted with a wink.

“Come on!” I interjected, not too proud to beg.  “Tell me...please!”

“I do believe your friend's getting impatient,” Alison giggled. “Such a poor character trait.”

“You should talk,” Laurence chided her, “Your impatience was how all this started. Not that I minded,” he added.

“Come on!  Spill the beans!” I implored.

“We will if you buy a round of drinks,” Alison smiled.  I did so, came back from the bar and sat down.

Laurence started. “We don’t just sail, you know.  We play golf too...generally at the Beverley.” I nodded.  That was where Alison and Harriet Stowe had come to blows, to Alison’s harm.  It wasn’t just her handicap that had suffered that day.  She’d left the field with more than a few bruises. “Yes I know what you’re thinking.” Laurence smiled wryly. He put his arm around Alison’s shoulder. “Usually we just play golf.”

“But not always,” Alison broke in, “and a couple weeks ago...right at the beginning of the season...was one of the exceptions. We’d met after work. Laurence needed some exercise.” She poked him in the ribs.  “It was time to get rid of some of that winter weight. He does put on so much in the winter.”

“Hon, it’s only because we can’t exercise.  I sail, I golf...I’ve never been one for gyms.  Besides, you wouldn’t like it if I were at a gym.  You’d think I was ogling all the girls...like Peter does at the beach.” He grinned at me.

“Hey, that was before I met Kelly!” I defended myself.

“Hmmph,” replied Alison. “It wasn’t you ogling a girl that started this.  More like the other way round...at least, so I thought at the time. Yes, don’t start on me again, Laurence.  I admit I was wrong...and I’ve made amends.”

Alison turned to me. “At the time though...well, I guess I was a little hasty. But how would your Kelly feel if she saw you holding a young brunette's hips while she took a golf swing. She was a cute young thing, probably early twenties...yes Laur', I thought you were cradle snatching at the time...and about average height. She had longish, not quite shoulder length brown hair which she’d held back off her face by pushing her sunglasses up. She wasn't dressed as fashionably as most of the women there...longish shorts and a two tone triangle patterned green top and sneakers.  Not real golfing attire.”

Laurence interrupted his wife by saying, “Hun, you saw that clip of Nick Faldo. His coach got his girl caddy to hold his hips. And that caddy...well, you'd have a fit if she held mine!" He kissed his wife's cheek.

"Not at all...and the evidence is there. If the only thing had been you holding her hips, nothing would have happened. But that wasn’t all.” Again she turned to me. “That was just the first incident. I saw them together, Laurie and this floozy, just as I drove in. Yes, they were right next to the car park."

“Well, think it through hun.  If there was anything wrong, would I have been doing it right there where everyone could see?”

“Yes, so you kept telling me at the time.”  Alison’s annoyance was feigned.

“When I could get a word in edgeways. Peter, she stormed up to me, her face black, her eyes flashing. I stood up and tried to introduce Kimberley Workman.  Kim’s a Biotech at the Feinberg.  We’re trialling some new equipment there.” I nodded.  Laurence’s firm made electronic equipment for hospitals and the medical industry generally.  He held several patents himself – small advances he'd worked on in his spare time.  Laurence was a very smart guy – and a good golfer too but not it seemed, at explaining himself to his wife. “Alison just didn’t want to listen. She slipped her arm into mine, said a very perfunctory 'good evening' to poor Kim, then 'it was nice to meet you' in a way that told me...and Kim...that she was lying, and walked me off to her car, talking about shopping she wanted me to put in my car so she could get her golf gear out. Poor Kim just stood there, speechless. And then you dear,” he turned to his wife, “started to giggle.”

“I couldn’t help it!  She looked so comical, standing there with her mouth half open, golf club in her hand. She looked like a fish with her mouth opening and closing like that. Yes, a very pretty, very cute fish.  That was the problem. If she hadn't looked so cute and...well...kinda helpless, I wouldn’t have worried. But Kimberley Workman looked like the kind of girl so many men like to 'protect'. She probably practices at it every day.”  She smiled.  “Really, you guys should wake up to us girls.”

I thought for a moment of other women who'd played the same card – Kim Curzon who, the first time I met her, sought my help when she lost her fight with the cigarette machine.  Then there was Margot Tennant who’d used it once too often. But I wanted to hear about the fight – I guessed that was where this story was leading – so I asked, “A pretty harmless first incident and it sounds like you came out ahead, Alison.  So...what happened next, and what’s this about Alison being impatient?”

“She got in a huff with me,” said Laurence.  I grinned at the way he used such a quaint English phrase.

“Tell it how it was, Laurence,” Alison scolded him mildly. You made a mess of the fifth hole, and you were making an even bigger mess of the sixth.” Unlike Kelly, I didn’t play golf much.  I never saw the point, or got any enjoyment, in hitting little balls around a field, so the explanation they gave confused me. I knew, from caddying for Kelly, that the fifth hole had two sharp doglegs – the first left hand, the second right hand.  The sixth had a water hazard as well as a sharp dogleg of its own. Kelly swore those two holes were very difficult.  She claimed they’d been designed by some degenerate troll who wanted to destroy friendships and generally wreak havoc. Laurence, it seemed, had got his ball caught in one bunker after another on the fifth, then took so long getting it to the green that Alison had given up waiting for him and gone onto the sixth.

While Alison cruised through that hole, her husband had more problems. His ball landed in some muddy ground on the edge of the water hazard.  Why they didn’t call it what it was – a marsh – I don’t know.  He hit it out of there but only managed to land it in another bunker.

And there he met Kimberley again. From that point on, his story and his wife’s differed.  If you believed Laurence, he and Kimberley were fellow victims of the troll who’d designed the course and no doubt lived under the bridge in the middle of the sixth hole.  They were commiserating with one another and Laurence was trying to show Kim the best way to get a ball out of a bunker – apart from actually picking it up and carrying it. If you believed Alison, the commiserations had gotten more than intimate, with the couple cuddling – or at least with Laurence leaning over Kim with his arms around her.

“How else do you hold a golf club and show someone how to swing it?” Laurence protested. “Anyway, by then you were looking for an excuse to pick a fight.”

“Who...me?” Alison said archly.

“Yes my friend, you!” I laughed.  “Laurence is right. You love to pick fights. I’ve known you for a long time.” I smiled, remembering what Margot had told me all those years ago.

“Indeed, you know her well.” Laurence smiled. “Alison stormed into the bunker.

“Peter, Alison said Kim Workman was cute. But Alison was majestic. She looked like a Valkyrie – no, that's not quite right. I couldn’t be reminded of the line from the Mikado...you know Katisha's song...

There is beauty in the bellow of the blast,
There is grandeur in the growling of the gale,
There is eloquent outpouring
When the lion is a-roaring,
And the tiger is a-lashing of his tail!

I had to bite my tongue.  Was Laurence really comparing his wife to Katisha?  It was a good thing Alison didn’t like – or know – Gilbert and Sullivan.

He went on. “And there was indeed beauty in your flashing eyes as you stormed up, roaring truly lion-like. Peter, she turned to me her eyes flashing!  ‘I can't leave you alone for a moment without that hussy getting her claws into you!’ she said.  She turned to where Kim stood, next to me. Kim had moved away when Alison stormed up. ‘What do you think you’re doing, hitting on my fiancée?’

“Kim wasn't taken aback, not in the least. ‘Clearly you’ve made up your mind what I’m doing’ she said.  ‘Apparently I’m hitting on your fiancée’. To give her her due, Kimberley had some sassy repartee. She smiled. ‘But you’re jumping to conclusions and like most people who do that, you jumped to the wrong one. A little thought would have led you to the right one...that he was just showing me how to fight my way out of this bunker.’

“I thought Alison's reply was lame.  'It looked like you were hitting on my guy,' she said.”  He turned to look at Alison.  “I was so surprised.  You’d normally have come back with something much stronger."

“Your expression told me that,” she said.  “You wanted to see a fight. That was so aggravating!”  She lifted her chin a little.  “I don't fight for your amusement. And anyway I was thinking maybe you and she were right. I'd have given her the benefit of the doubt, except for her next comment. Yes Laurence, I was about to back down and apologise.  I've picked too many fights in the past and I thought it was about time to grow up.”  Alison looked at me.  “That’s something your Kelly could learn too."

I glanced up quickly.  That wasn’t something I'd be telling Kelly – not if I wanted to stay on her good side.  It seemed that maybe Alison wanted to teach Kelly some 'manners'.  If so, this could be interesting. Still, manners or not, a fight had started and I wanted to know how.  I replied, “But you didn't apologise.  What made you change your mind?”

“Kim was so sassy.  She looked at me and said, ‘If you don’t trust your fiancée...and you clearly don’t...then you shouldn’t go on to the next hole and leave him for girls like me to get their claws into. But, no, you’re too impatient to do that. So you leave him alone and when you come back to find him, you jump to conclusions and you get furious. Impatient, hasty women who don't trust their men don't deserve good men...and I’m sure Laurence is a good man.'

“Peter, she smirked at me!” Alison sounded sad.

“I clenched my fists. I was so close to losing it.  If I hadn't held my arms pinned against my side, I think I'd have lashed out at her. Still, without knowing it I must have stepped forward, but only realised it when so did she and we were standing less than a foot apart, right in each other’s faces. Laurence, you were silent. Yeah I know,” she half laughed, half snorted, “you wanted to see us go toe to toe. And then you got your chance. I think I'd have let her go if she hadn't sneered, 'Temper, temper’.”

“That did it.  Peter, for all she says, Alison was ravenous for a fight.” Laurence took up the story. He squeezed his wife’s shoulder.  “Don't deny it.  I know all the signs...all the body language.  Sure, you may have been trying to master your desires, but you still had them.”  He continued, at me, “Kim's stupid slur was enough to break down Alison's last inhibition. She let loose with a stinging slap aimed at Kim's face.

“Kim ducked down, quicker than I thought she could.  You, dear, almost toppled forward and she punched you hard in your stomach.”

“Laurence I did not 'topple forward'! I may have stumbled a little but that's all.” She glowered at her husband, then smiled. “But yes, the hussy bobbing down like that fooled me. I didn't expect her comeback blow...that hurt.  I didn't expect her speed or her strength either. That punch, followed by a second one a moment later, almost half winded me. I felt the air gush out of my mouth. As I stepped back to regroup, she weighed into me with a barrage of light but effective jabbing punches.  She hit my face, my sides, my boobs...she kept mixing those blows up and I couldn't defend them all.  They just kept thudding home. I told myself I had to do something quickly or she'd batter me into the ground...but for the moment, I couldn’t think what. ”

Again Laurence interrupted his wife. “Alison, admit it.  You thought she'd be easy pickings. You didn't expect her to be a good fighter. Peter, Kim was hammering Alison.  I've seen Alison fight quite a lot, but I’ve never seen anyone take it to her so early in a fight as Kim did. For about thirty seconds, Kim was all over her.” He hushed Alison's protest.  “Sweets, she battered you. But you did get it together, just like I knew you would. Peter, even as Kim pressed her attack, I knew Alison was thinking of a plan. She was too disciplined to let Kim get away with the fight.

She hunkered down to make a smaller target.  That didn't faze Kim though.  She switched her attack, aiming downwards, but she didn't have the same success. After a few frustrating seconds...I heard her curse under her breath...Kim lashed out with a kick aimed at Alison's ribcage. That was enough. While Kim was still a little off balance, Alison sprang up and to the side. The kick missed completely. Alison's head didn't.  It landed right in Kim's breadbasket. You should have heard her groan. One moment she was on top of the world, raining blows on a cowering enemy, but less than ten seconds later she was doubled up, spluttering and clutching her belly.”  He added to Alison, “She gave you just the opportunity you needed.”

Again Alison continued, “Yes, she’d hammered me.  I'll be honest, she'd had the best part of the fight up till then. And yes...honest again...I hadn't expected her to fight so well. The head butt gave me the breather I needed. I stepped back and we stood glaring at each other.

I began to size her up. She was just a little shorter than me and I launched a few light jabs to keep her out. We were both careful on our feet, moving better as we both recovered...me from the pounding she'd given me, Kim from the head butt I’d given her.  I sensed her inching towards me, closing the gap between us. I took a step back to keep her out of range.  I blocked a punch by putting my fists up. I dropped my shoulder, stepping to the left and getting under her next blow, which was aimed at where my head had been a split second before.

I closed, lunging with my fist aimed at her stomach. But she blocked my blow too, and my fist hit her forearm, not her gut like I intended. I glanced up. Kim growled at me and before I could do anything, she dug out my stomach with a heavy blow. Yes, she'd out-thought me. My gut churned and I sprayed out spit and air as the blow...followed by a second one before I could defend myself...half winded me.

“Again I had to step back.  I'd already begun to, and that was what saved me from a worse pounding by her second punch. Mind you, it still hurt.  It still damaged me. I pulled back out of her range. I settled down to a grim defence. I needed time to recover.”

“And Peter she did defend well.” Laurence took up the tale agfain.  “Alison was light on her feet.  She moved when she had to, and kept Alison at bay. She conserved her energy, fighting smart.  Kim didn't. She kept pushing, trying to find openings.  She couldn’t.  Alison’s defence was just too good. Sure, Kim got a few blows in, but no more than Alison did and none of them did any damage.  

“Alison’s didn't do much damage either, but I could see that you, dear, didn’t mean to.  You were just trying to keep her away while you got your breath back, and you did.  Kim started to get frustrated as Alison began to fight back. She attacked.  Her fist lashed out straight for Alison's head...but it wasn't there.  Alison had bobbed down and from a half crouch, she fired a left and a right into Kim's belly. Kim was still outstretched from her missed punch and she just couldn’t defend herself.”

“But what was worse for her, was she didn't even tense up her abs.” Alison resumed the story. “My first fist just sank in deep, and my second followed too quickly for her to do anything.  She staggered, gagging. I pushed forward cautiously.  This skank could fight and I wasn't going to open myself up to her tricks again. I guess I was too cautious.  Anyway, I’m more a wrestler than a boxer.  I needed to work out how to grapple with her. That was my mistake when I fought Harriet.  I tried to punch when I should have stuck to my own game.”

She paused, then went on. “Anyway, for a while there was a standoff.  Kim regrouped.  I could see her recovering.  She got the colour back in her face.  She wasn't gasping like a fish any longer.  I hadn't been idle either.  I'd tried to close with her but she'd backed away every time. Sure, punched a few times, but like I say, that's not my natural style. Then I saw an opening. I kicked her, hard, hitting her right on the kneecap. She groaned. I've never been kicked there but they say it hurts like hell.”

“It does!” Again Laurence took up the story.  “We've all banged our kneecaps and a kick is just like that...but on steroids.  It made Kim buckle. She staggered backwards, and that was all you needed.” Again he squeezed his wife's hand.

I was about to comment on how affectionate they were, but I thought of how fighting was such a turn on for Kelly and I, so I bit my tongue and let Laurence continue. “Kim still didn't have her balance right when Alison came at her. A low sweeping tackle brought Kim crashing down on her butt. Alison didn't give her a break. She grappled with her gasping foe and succeeded in getting her into a headlock but before Alison could exploit her advantage, Kim wriggled free.

“Kim got to her feet, slowly. She was tired, her clothes were sweat-stained, her hair was matted. Yeah, I should have noticed that before. But she'd seemed so on top of her game that I hadn't.”

“No Laurence, but I had.” His wife smiled. “She was tiring.  I sensed it when she backed away instead of taking the attack back at me. She'd spent too long doing that and dodging me to be simply recovering. She needed an opening...just like I did...but she didn't get one. The more tired she got, the more openings there would be for me.  I just had to keep the pressure on.

So I did.  I kept her on the defensive by nonstop jabbing at her, always with an eye to breaking through her defence. Then my chance came.  She was puffing by then. I ducked into a crouch and swept my arm in low.  I hooked it around her leg and at the same time, I slammed my head into her gut.

She went down on her butt again and this time she lay there, gasping like a fish. I thought she was finished. I straddled her. I was about to grab her head and slam it into the dirt when she swung her legs up. I was so surprised I froze for a moment and she locked her ankles in front of my face. She used them to try to shove me off, but I managed to stay on. Then she rocked. I still stayed on but it was a lot harder that time.  

“I remembered that fight with Harriet Stowe.  There was no way this one was going to have the same ending. I bounced up on my knees. She thought she'd just about won but as she rolled, I slammed my butt down on her. She was already hurt there and she groaned.  I felt her legs weaken. I reached out with my arm, grabbed at her head, yanked it up and then slammed it into the earth. That was what I’d planned all along.  It just took me a little longer to get there.

“Kim went slack underneath me. I yanked her head up and slammed it down again, harder.  I reared up and crashed my butt down into her stomach again. She groaned. I could see the despair in her eyes. We both knew I’d won.  I pushed her legs apart and my other hand seized a fistful of hair as well. I kept yanking her head up and slamming it into the ground till she went completely limp.

“I stood up. ‘Laurence, I’ve still got eleven holes to play. You can work out what to tell the groundskeepers about..’ I gestured to what was left of Kim.  ‘...this.’  I shouldered my bag of clubs and went on with my round.”

“She did Peter!  She just went on.” Laurence shook his head in admiration. “I had to help Kim up...she came to almost straight away...and borrow someone's golf cart to get her back to the club house.  I told Kim I'd see her home but she insisted I didn't.  ‘It’ll only put you in more shit with your wife’ she said.  She was right of course.  I got her out to the parking lot and waited for a cab. By then it was dusk and people were coming in from the course. I had to deal with a few questions.  I don’t think I was too convincing. The cab took a while to arrive and we were still waiting when Alison came back.”

“Yes, I'd finished my round. Laurence wasn't handling things right. I took over. I told Kim I’d drive her home and Laurence would follow in my car. I told her that there were no hard feelings on my part. But she’d better stay away from my man.”

I smiled inwardly. Alison was so like my Kelly but from what Laurence said in wrapping up the story, it seemed Kim Workman wasn’t as easily brought to heel as Kim Curzon had been. Curson had been Kelly’s protégé...almost a pet, ever since they’d fought.  But then, the biotech worker wasn't really in the same circles. Laurence and Alison still saw Kim Workman from time to time, but only at the golf club. Still, I wondered.

“How was the meeting?” Kelly looked up from her book when I walked in the door later that night.  She wriggled over so I could share the couch. I sat down and kissed her.

“It was ok, as those meetings go.”

“And how was Alison?”

“She was ok.  I didn't mention your idea though.  I thought I'd leave it to you.” Not wanting to open Alison as a topic – Kelly’s antennae were always too active – I changed the subject. “Rowena and Brendon were a little distant.” I explained what had happened.

“Hmm...yes. Only to be expected. Brendon probably thinks a family that prays together, stays together.  In my experience, a couple is like any other two objects joined together...they need a good screw or they come loose.”

We talked over the arrangements for the weekend at Faulconbridge. That night I told Kelly, "Ï think you’ll get some objections from Alison.”

“Leave it to me,” she replied, already pulling out her cell. I listened to the conversation – she’d switched her cell to speaker. At first Kelly demonstrated the marketing skills that made her one of the best in the field. She stressed all the things she knew Alison would like about the resort. Kelly patiently and quietly overcame each objection Alison put up. Just as patiently and quietly, she persuaded Alison that this really was a vacation too good to miss.

By the time Kelly hung up, Alison had not only happily agreed to come but was enthusiastic about the whole idea, as though she’d thought of it herself.  I had to smile.

“Look at this hall!”  Kelly’s voice brought me back to the here and now.  “It’s the size of a small cathedral. How would they heat it in the winter? At least they’ve put a coffee lounge at one end. After almost five hours in the car, I’m dying for a coffee and some cake.” She looked around as I checked us in. She was right too.  The hall was vast – two stories high and wide enough to drive two trucks abreast.  There was a second floor gallery around three sides, supported on arched piers. We headed down to the coffee lounge at the other end, underneath the gallery and near a blazing log fire. At least the fire kept that part of the room warm.

We placed our orders and sat down. “Twain was right.  Sir Walter Scott does have a lot to answer for,” Kelly repeated, still flabbergasted by the enormity of the building.

“Why do you say that?” asked a woman at the next table. I glanced over at her.  She was blonde-haired and attractive, about our age.  While it was hard to judge her height while she sat down, she was slim, athletic looking – I sensed the muscles beneath the smooth, lightly freckled skin.  She wore little if any makeup and little jewelry but what she did wear – a pearl necklace and matching earrings – spoke both of expense and taste. At first I thought the jewelry and her sky blue, figure hugging dress a little formal, but then I realised it suited the Faulconbridge atmosphere much better than Kelly and Alison's more casual clothes. We were all in the clothes we had travelled in – comfortable jeans and sweaters.  The woman at the next table made us look under-dressed.

Kelly smiled. “I never liked Sir Walter.  His histories were never accurate and his love of homeland was quite chauvinistic. Look at his tales of chivalry and romances of the border, historical pictures of feudal England and the Crusades. They were lullabies.”  She paused and extended her hand.  “By the way, I’m Kelly Haldane from Chicago. This is my man Peter Balfour, and these are our friends Laurence and Alison Chamberlain." Kelly’s wave encompassed us all. She returned to the topic of Scott and went on, “But more importantly, he was a romantic writer who loved the past...or rather his version of the past...and who built his own mock baronial hall which he called Abbotsford. He almost went bankrupt building it too.”

"Ï thought his financial problems related to the failure of his publishers, the Ballantynes and the Constables,” replied the woman.  “He wrote his way out of those problems. I’m Becky Krueger and this is my husband Kirk. We’re from Alabama.”

“You’ve come a long way.” Kelly smiled. “And I see you know something about Scott.”

“Yes, I do.  Kirk inherited a complete set of Scott’s books from his grandfather, and I took to reading them again.”

"And your knowledge surprised me," Alison broke in, addressing Kelly. "I never knew you read much.  I’ve certainly never seen you read anything serious."

"Just because you haven’t seen it, doesn’t mean that I don't.” Kelly’s hackles rose.

“Ok, hun,” I said carefully, trying to calm my girl.

"No Peter, it’s not ok. Alison, I'll have you know I studied Eng lit as my humanities subject in college. My major field was nineteenth century novelists." She turned and looked Alison in the eyes. “And I made the Dean's list.” She turned again, took a sharp breath – so sharp I heard the hiss of air – and turned away from Alison as if to put her needling – that’s what it was – behind her. "You’re partly right Becky.” Her voice returned to her normal conversational tone. “At the very least, Ballantyne's bankruptcy didn't help Scott’s finances."

"He did write his way out of his difficulties, and he supported Ballantyne too.  A less ‘honourable’ man would have accepted all the offers of help Scott received, and left the Ballantynes to swing in the wind.” Becky defended Scott, her eyes gleaming in the firelight. “The range of support he was offered shows how important Scott was at that time. Even King George IV offered him help. Scott wasn't just a writer, either. He was a lawyer, and a senior one too...a judge."

“That's true.  Scott was one of the key people behind the Quarterly Review. But that’s a good example of the mish-mash that’s wrong in Scott. The Quarterly was meant to be a moderate conservative journal...what the British would have called ‘one nation Tory’. I don’t know what we’d call it.”

“RINO,” interjected Alison who – most surprisingly for a teacher – was a neocon.  “Republican in name only. Closet liberals.”

Kelly looked at me and patted my hand. She knew how many times people said that about me. She also knew how much it rankled. So did Alison.  She was being a bitch, breaking into a polite and serious conversation – the kind Kelly really enjoyed – and needling her. I wondered why.  Alison usually enjoyed this sort of talk too.

Kelly coughed and went on, “Maybe so. Its editorial line was ‘change when needed – and not otherwise’.” And that,” she turned to look Alison in the eye, “is as conservative as Edmund Burke himself. Scott dragged his heels on Catholic Emancipation...even that deepest dyed Tory the Duke of Wellington was in favour of that.”

That shaft went home.  Alison's family were Polish.  It didn't matter that they were third or fourth generation Americans, or that Alison was – unlike the rest of her family – less than observant. Catholicism was still part of her cultural identity. If this was a battle of wits between Kelly and Alison, Kelly had just scored well.

“But I digress,” said Kelly.  “Sorry Becky...back to Abbotsford. It’s a good example of all that’s wrong with Scott. First, it’s a mish mash of styles. The entrance isn't really ‘period’.  It combines 16th century armour with cuirasses Scott collected from Waterloo. Scott had his ancestral armorial bearings engraved on the walls – even though his family were really only middle class.  His father was a lawyer. Like I say, so much is fake about Scott."

"It's still an impressive home," Becky replied. "You sound as though you've been there. We went in the fall, about eighteen months ago."

"Yes, I've been there and yes it’s impressive...but it’s still a monstrosity. Just like this place.  You’d have to agree that these monstrosities are just that – monstrous. Did you read the history of the building?  It’s on the resort’s website.” Without waiting for an answer, Kelly went on, “It was built by Rundstadt, a German immigrant who made his money out of logging.  He started out as a lumberjack and rose from there.  He promoted the railroad that served the district...it eventually became part of the old Milwaukee railroad...and then he built this.”

Alison smiled. “Kelly, I guess you'd say that, just like Scott, he wanted to reinvent himself as a medieval baron.”

Kelly glanced across at her. “Yes I would.  How perceptive,” she drawled, “of me and Rundstadt.” I sensed she wasn’t pleased. She turned back to Becky. “Would you like to explore the building? Let’s see the atrocity for ourselves.” Almost as an afterthought she added, "You’ll come with me, won’t you Alison?”

Alison shook her head. "Kelly, I need a shower and a meal. Also, we still need to go and find our rooms.  We're tired of fast food. That's all we got, the whole way up the freeway from Chicago." She stood up.

Kelly made a face.

“Kelly, Alison’s right.  We need to go to our rooms,” said Laurence.

Kelly stood up too.  “Maybe so.  Anyway, it was good to chat with you, Becky.  I hope to see you again later.” She strode off, calling over her shoulder, “Peter, where are our bags?”  

I caught up with her a few moments later.  As I guessed, she wasn’t pleased.  “Alison tried to show me up. She failed.  And she won’t come exploring with me.  She was all for it in the car on the way up but now, when I suggest it...she’s ‘too tired’. She sniped at me all the way up here. Remember?”

I lobbed a grenade.  “I thought you said Alison had learned not to cross you.”

“Clearly she needs another lesson.” Kelly fumed. “Two beatings...one from me and one from Harriet...obviously weren’t enough to knock some sense into her.”

We got to our room. “Oh my god!” Kelly exclaimed as we walked through the door. “It’s huge!  You could keep an elephant in here! At least it’s been modernized.  I’m having first shower. Peter, I’m worn out.  I think I’ll get room service to bring me up a tray.”

“And leave Alison in possession of the field of battle?” I lobbed another grenade.

Kelly thought for a moment.  “You’re right.  That would never do. She’d think she’d gotten the best of me.” Kelly dressed again.  She went up-style – dress, jewelry and heels “Peter, we’re going to dinner.  Let’s look like it. Coat and tie for you, my boy.”

We invited Becky and Kirk to join us for dinner. Kelly resumed the conversation about Abbotsford and soon had all of us in an animated discussion about vacations to historic places – all of us except Alison. It seemed Kirk and Becky had been on some long vacations. I asked Kirk what he did to afford this. It turned out that like me, he managed a family manufacturing business. That led to more conversation.

Becky raised her voice.  “Hey!” she all but shouted.  “Where’s our order? Some of these people,” she waved her hand around the table, "have travelled a long way. How about some service!”

Laurence looked at her reproachfully. "Don't worry yourself on our behalf.  The waitress is over-worked.  She’s probably just as tired, if not more so, than we are."

“So?” Becky shot back.  “We’re paying.  She’s paid to take care of us.”

Kelly looked meaningfully at me, then resumed the former conversation.

Kelly and Becky went off after dinner to explore the old building. Alison excused herself.  Kelly again tried to invite her, but Alison shook her head and went to bed.

I sat down in front of the fire and invited Kirk and Laurence to join me in a brandy. We started talking about our businesses – about how difficult it was to make a decent living, what with Wal-Mart and the Chinese. It seemed Kirk's furniture business had gone through the same hard times that many people we sold machine tools to had experienced. Like them, Kirk’s business had made the same changes – a decision to strive for quality and aim at the upper end of the market. Restructuring had been hard. “I hated firing people.  I'd gone to school with some of them.”  He shook his head and picked up his drink. “It was tough on my marriage too. I wasn't married to Becky then."

Afterwards it amazed me how much a man will confide to a couple of strangers he expects he’ll never see again. Kirk told us how he'd grown up with Becky and another girl – Ellie, “the two cutest southern belles you’d ever meet.” The girls were best friends and later, at college, they were roommates.  They’d both fallen in love with him. “They did everything else together so I guess falling in love with the same guy was just another thing they shared.” Originally Kirk had favoured Ellie but she’d seemed to fall out of love with him.  “Later I found out she just loved Becky too much to stand in her way.”

He took a large sip of his brandy.  “I wish she hadn't,” he declared.  “Becky and I got married and it wasn’t long before Becky got prissy...bossy.  She was a high-maintenance princess.” He sighed. “My parents favoured Becky too.  In their eyes she was a princess of a different kind. She was ‘old family’ southern nobility.  Her ancestors had been in town since before the civil war.  One them was even a major in the Confederate army. They weren't that well off but they had the social standing that our family lacked.

“The South is a peculiar place. Some of them have never got over losing what they call the ‘War Between the States’.  Some of the schools teach that the war wasn't about slavery at all. Becky believes that.  She’s a member of the Daughters of the Confederacy.

“Heck, what did we know? My granddaddy was a refugee from Latvia after the Second World War. He'd been a cabinet maker back in the old country. He got a job at the saw mill. Becky's granddaddy was a clerk in some government office. He never got his hands dirty. I never saw him outside his home without a tie on.

“My granddaddy started making furniture in his garage while he worked for the lumber company. He wanted to marry my grandmother who was still in Latvia.  They’d been sweethearts during the war.  You had to pay some kind of tax to the communists in Eastern Europe back then...not just Latvia but everywhere...if you wanted to marry someone and bring them out. So he needed more money. A few years on he was making it full time. The business just boomed.  Soon they were rich. But people like Becky's family still looked down on him and then on my Dad too.  They weren't just ‘those Balts’...that was bad enough...but they worked in a factory.  They were ‘in a trade’.  

“Grandpa never minded but my parents did.  They wanted so much to be part of the town. They joined Rotary, the Chamber of Commerce, they established parks and gardens. My daddy wanted to run for the county.  He was told he had no chance.  

“They weren't accepted, and they wanted to be. Years later when I started dating Becky, they were so happy. They saw me marrying Becky as a way to get accepted. Ellie wasn't like that. Her family had no Confederate ancestors. My parents didn't push me but I knew who they preferred and why, and I guess it influenced me.

“Still, Becky and all her friends have some funny ideas. They may say they’re in favour of racial integration and civil rights, but scratch the skin...” He shook his head and drank his brandy.

I thought he had finished his monologue but he went on to tell us how Becky used to humiliate Ellie at church, in the drab store where Ellie worked, in fact wherever she could. One day it seemed it had all gotten too much for Ellie who'd risen up and beaten the crap out of her ex-friend.

That, it seemed, had produced an epiphany. Kirk and Ellie had met, told each other their secrets about Becky and renewed their love. Kirk had divorced Becky and married Ellie.

“But it didn't work out,” he went on.  “That was the worst time in the business.  I was always worried and distracted.  I expected Ellie to do things I'd never asked of Becky.  We had almost no sex life – Ellie was too tired after all I'd asked her to do and I was too worried about the business.

“So Becky seduced me back. Thinking I'd go back to how things had been, I made the worst decision of my life. Ellie didn't help either.  She’d turned into a real spitfire, fighting other women, playing around.  All I needed to do was to treat her little better, the way I should have treated her as my wife...but I didn't. We wound up getting a divorce and I married Becky again. I guess we're happy enough now, but I still can't help thinking what Ellie and I could have been like together.

"Becky’s still high maintenance.  That’s what's behind all the trips and tours. Thankfully the firm has turned the corner so we can afford them, and I like travelling with her. But she’s prissy...she's pushy...you saw how she bawled out the waitress earlier.”

He finished his drink and shrugged.  “Ah well, I’ve probably spoken out of turn. Here are the ladies, come back.” He stood up.  “Sugar, it’s time for me to turn in. Are you coming?”  Becky nodded and together they walked off.

A light-skinned African American girl had come back with them.  Now Kelly introduced her.  “Peter, Laurence...meet Loretta.  Becky and I met her while we were exploring the building.”

I smiled and said hello.  We made a little small talk, and then Kelly and I decided to turn in too.

The next morning we ate breakfast early, Kelly having ignored my request for a longer sleep.  She said there were too many fun and exciting things to do at the resort. She threw a pillow at me when I suggested there were many fun and exciting things to do in bed.

Kelly waved over Kirk and Becky when they came down, then Loretta who introduced us to her husband, Jesse. We all sat down for a hearty meal.

Kelly and Becky resumed their talk – you might call it an argument – from the night before. Kelly fired opened the opening salvo.  “As I was saying about Sir Walter Scott, the romantic of trivial sentimentality and muddled thinking...all those gallant knights...the historical vision that was never, actually, very historical? He longed for a golden past, lost in the industrial age, but it was never the real past that he longed for.  Look at Ivanhoe.  What could be more specious than that story, conflating Robin Hood and a knightly tournament, King Richard’s return incognito with Friar Tuck?  It’s all just a boy’s story.  Not that any boy would want to read it. It’s way too long and too boring."

“It’s not just a boy’s novel,” argued Becky.  “Scott wasn’t just writing a romance.  He was making some important points about then-contemporary England and Scotland.” She elaborated on her theme, “Firstly, there’s the enmity between Saxon and Norman.  Maybe that didn’t exist in the twelfth century...maybe it did. But there certainly was enmity between the Scots and English, and for much the same reasons as Scott writes about the enmity between the Saxons and the Normans. After the Act of Union, the Scots felt they were oppressed by the English, just as Scott has the Saxons resenting the Normans.  It’s allegorical.” Becky clearly knew what she was talking about.

“A good concept, if not historical,” Kelly conceded.  “But Scott messed it up.  He didn’t even get his Saxon names right. Look at Cedric, for example.  It’s a misspelling.”

“Maybe so, but that’s not the point.” Becky returned fire. “Second, you mentioned Richard.  Scott’s portrayal of him as a man who loved adventure and pleasure more than he loved the well-being of his subjects isn’t romantic, nor is it the view that was current in Scott’s day, but it is the view of most serious scholars today.” She took a drink of her coffee.

“Perhaps so, but Ivanhoe was a model for the Eglington tourney. And that...a whole lot of aristocratic nineteenth century Englishmen dressed up as thirteenth century knights...was hardly accurate,” my girl returned. I was enjoying the cross fire. This was another facet of Kelly's character, one that few people saw. I knew she loved poetry and Kim Curzon had shown me how much Kelly liked theatre, but I'd rarely seen her debate history and literature like this before.  This was more like a college seminar than a breakfast discussion at a backwoods resort. Kelly was just as forceful a debater as she was a fighter. "Many wrong ideas came from Ivanhoe.” Kelly leaned forward, her remaining breakfast forgotten as she spoke. Her eyes shone brightly.”

“Bit of a washout...literally,” Alison broke in.  “The site was flooded out. It's harsh to say it wasn't accurate. It was the first time there had ever been any kind of medieval re-enactment.”

« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 09:22:42 PM by peccavi »
Blondes are cool Brunettes are Hot!!

Offline peccavi

• God Member
  • I'm a big brunette bullying b*tch, take me on!
Re: Kelly and her friends. 28 Faulconbridge Follies
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 12:39:22 AM »
Kelly snorted. “Re-enactments! Like those people who dress up in funny clothes and pretend to fight battles all over again.  I saw some when I was in England...there they re-enact some of their Civil War. Why bother? Funny they don't re-enact the Battle of the Somme or something serious. It's a mockery...and it all started with Eglington? Stupid.”

"So what?” Alison retorted.  “It was a major step in the Gothic revival.”

"Most contemporaries didn't think so.  They mocked it." Kelly began again.  “Queen Victoria called it a ‘foolish amusement’”.

Alison cut her off. “Anyway, don't change the subject.  You and Becky were talking about Scott.”

“Yes we were,” Becky confirmed. She leaned across the table, looking straight at Kelly. “Scott’s idea of ancient Saxon liberties wasn’t conservative. His readers would have seen the connection he was making between those old liberties and the then-current suppression...things like the Peterloo massacre.”

“Perhaps, but Scott twisted the story to make those points.”

"Kelly you've changed your tack.  A while ago, you were arguing that Ivanhoe was just a boy’s story.” Alison lobbed a grenade of her own. I looked at her.  She was smiling smugly, deliberately winding Kelly up.

“Look at the ending,” Kelly continued, trying to ignore Alison's jibe. “Everyone says Ivanhoe should have married the much more interesting Rebecca.  Thackeray even wrote a mock sequel where that happened.”

“Maybe, but that's another issue Scott dealt with in the novel...the persecution of the Jews. Rebecca is tried for witchcraft.  The Templar tries to capture her and her father is imprisoned by a noble.”  Becky tapped her finger on the table. “The point here is that, at the time Scott was writing, Jewish emancipation was a major issue in British politics.”

“For all that, it’s still Ivanhoe that, most of all, justifies Mark Twain's comment about Scott...that he was responsible for the Civil War. All his romantic notions, all his sham chivalry, all his false nobility.  He created the Southern gentleman.  As Twain said, he made every one of those 'gentlemen' a major, a colonel or a judge.  They were the dukes, the earls, the aristocracy.  The North had given up slavery, the South kept it...and Scott was as much to blame for that as their methods of agriculture."

"But the War Between the States wasn’t about slavery," Becky said emphatically.  “There were different cultures.  We had cash crops...sugar, cotton, tobacco. The North was all about industrialisation. Money was all important.” Her face flushed. “So the North produced Carnegie and Rockefeller, men who cheated and swindled their way to the top in a way no Southerner ever would have. Forget about the gentleman. There were yeomen farmers, artisans, traders...the Plain Folks of the South, as Frank Owsley wrote.”

“Yes,” Loretta interrupted, joining the debate for the first time, “people like the hill farmers in North Carolina and East Tennessee, or the western part of Virginia. They were the people who voted against secession in the conventions.  They even won in the first convention in North Carolina. It was the slave-owners who wanted secession.

“Maybe, but secession was as much about tariffs and other economic issues as anything to do with slaves. The Yankees wanted tariffs, the South wanted free trade. But it was a way of life.” Becky’s face suddenly flushed. She was out of her comfort zone. The conversation had shifted from Scott to the South and the Civil War.

“A way of life built on slavery, for the benefit of the rich,” Loretta snapped. “The hill farmers knew slavery held them back. Ever heard of Hinton Helper, from North Carolina?  He wrote pamphlets...even a book that showed how slavery hurt the Southern economy by preventing economic development and industrialization.  It was the main reason why the South had progressed so much less than the North. And it was the gentry...the Southern Gentlemen,” Loretta’s voice rang with sarcasm, “the ‘lords of the lash’ the slave owners who oppressed the poorer whites and the middle class, and who provoked the war.

“The war was not about slavery,” Becky repeated even more definitely.  This time her voice was high pitched, her face flushed.

“Oh yes it was! There were slaves there before, there weren't after.” Becky opened her mouth to speak but Loretta didn’t let her.  “The war was all about freeing the slaves”

“Crap!” hissed Becky, standing up. “It was about state rights!  It was about tariffs!”  I remembered what her husband had said the night before. The Civil War topic had certainly inflamed her.

“Garbage!  Tell that to the descendants of the hundred thousand...yeah, that many, a ninth of the total number of those Southerners who fought for the Confederacy...the hundred thousand white Southerners who fought for the Union. They knew what it was about.”

“They were mostly hill farmers from border states. They didn’t know – ”

Again Loretta cut her off.  “They didn’t have slaves...and they didn’t want to live in a society that did have slaves.”  Her voice too had gotten more strident.

Becky flushed even more.  It seemed she’d dug a hole for herself.  She clenched her fists.

“Tell me...there were slaves before the war, right? Were there slaves after?” Loretta stood too. “My ancestors were freed by Sherman's march!  Though it took another century and another, truly noble southerner...LBJ...to give us equal rights.”

“Slavery was a side issue!” Becky flared. She swept her hand in some broad gesture, and knocked Loretta's coffee cup over, splashing Loretta's cream sweater.

“Look at what you did!” exclaimed Loretta, justifiably annoyed.

“It was an accident!”

“Then apologize!”

"You don't apologise for an accident! Get over it, girl!”

Loretta gave her a wide eyed glare.  “Girl?  GIRL? What’s up with that?  So you’re one of those Southerners?  Every black man’s a ‘boy’ and every black woman’s a ‘girl’ huh?” She leaned across the table, thrusting her head forward and eyeballing an equally angry Becky.

"Don’t play the victim!” accused Becky back at her.  “You’re obviously rich or you wouldn’t be here.  You’re well educated or you wouldn’t know so much about Walter Scott. Quit playing the abused slave and grow up!”

“I thought you Southern women were supposed to be ladies. I guess I was wrong. A lady would apologise even if it was an accident. But we all know it wasn’t!  You’re just a woman who can’t stand to lose an – Oh my god!” Becky had slapped Loretta’s face hard. Loretta took a pace back. "I’ll make you pay for that!”

“Not here you won’t, honey,” said Jesse, her husband.

Loretta rounded on him.  “But she hit me!”

“I know she did.  A slap across the face is an age old challenge, and I know you’ll meet her challenge...just not right here, not right now.” He took her by both arms and looked her in the eye.  “Prove to her that it’s not just ‘Southern Ladies’ who have a ‘code’.” 

He turned to Kirk. “There’s a green...they probably used it for bowls once...just behind the tennis court.  It’s got a high hedge on three sides, a creek on the fourth. I’m sure Loretta will give your wife satisfaction there, an hour from now.”

“Agreed.” Kirk responded briskly. “You ladies and gentlemen are all welcome to watch.” His wave encompassed Laurence and Alison, Kelly and me.  “Until then, let’s all be civilized and finish our breakfast.”

Kelly and I smiled at each other. It looked as though, even in this unlikely place, we were going to see a hard battle.

It was much sooner than an hour when we walked over to the green – a small, enclosed flat area of neatly trimmed grass.  Jesse was right, it would have been a bowling green in the past – perhaps it still was.  It was the perfect spot for a fight – out of sight of everyone and out of earshot unless people were playing tennis, which nobody was at that early hour. It was perfectly level apart from a lip along the bank of the stream.

The two combatants stood facing one another, both dressed in loose fitting clothes – each in a t-shirt and, despite the chill, shorts.  Both were barefoot.  Loretta, at five feet six and about 130 pounds, was by no means heavy but she had a couple of inches and perhaps fifteen pounds over the slightly built Becky. Each looked strong.  Their arms and legs showed well defined muscles. We stood next to the only entrance – a lichgate in the hedge nearest the main building – watching and waiting for the action to start.

We didn’t have long to wait. The two women closed quickly with one another.  Becky crouched low, her arms out and, surging forwards, tried to grab at Loretta’s knees. Loretta sidestepped to avoid the tackle. Pivoting on her left leg she kicked hard at Becky’s ribs. Committed to her diving style attack, the blonde couldn’t escape and the kick thudded home, knocking her off her feet with a groan. 

She rolled away, springing to her feet, her fists out. As Loretta strode confidently forward, she fired a punch into the African American’s side.  Loretta took the blow easily, parried Becky’s other fist and fired her own right in return at Becky’s head. Becky jerked her head to the side and Loretta’s fist only just brushed it. Becky stepped back and bending from her hip, let fly with a swinging right arm aiming to slap at Loretta’s cheek. Loretta swung her left arm up and broke the slap before it landed, though its force pushed Loretta’s arm sideways. Loretta moved in and raised her knee, hoping to slam it into Becky’s gut. Becky stepped back another pace and pushed sideways on Loretta’s upraised leg. Off balance, Loretta stumbled to the side.

The dark girl stepped back to regroup, then attacked, her fists jabbing at Becky’s midriff. Becky parried one but the other hit. She gasped. Loretta knew how to hit. The blonde retreated, Loretta following. Becky reversed direction and darted in, getting under Loretta’s guard. The two girls clinched. Loretta wrapped her arms round Becky, squeezing her in a bear hug. The smaller girl pounded her foe’s ribs.  While Loretta was focused on that, she swung her head back, then forward, striking Loretta’s jaw. Loretta gasped and Becky wriggled free of her grip.

Loretta attacked again, her left fist striking Becky’s side.  Had the blonde not moved quickly, it would have hit her in the stomach. Even so, Becky’s gasp told how hard the blow hit. She scurried back, Loretta following her closely, both fists jabbing. Becky parried or dodged most of the blows but the few that did break through her strong defence elicited more gasps.

Perhaps realizing she was going to run out of room, Becky clinched, closing on Loretta. She pounded the taller girl’s ribs again. She stepped a couple of paces back, then body slammed her larger foe. Surprised, Loretta stumbled. Becky repeated the move, this time worming her foot behind Loretta’s. When Becky shoved, Loretta tripped and almost fell on her back. As it was, struggling to regain her balance, her arms windmilling, she was an easy target for Becky’s fists. The shorter girl pounded Loretta’s midsection mercilessly. Gagging, gasping, groaning, Loretta retreated.

Becky fired a fist at Loretta’s jaw. It struck.  The black girl wailed. She staggered and fell to the grass but rolled and got to her knees before Becky could exploit her advantage.

Becky crouched as she swept in, her arm sweeping round Loretta’s head just as the African American was getting to her feet. The two girls dropped to the grass with Becky, holding Loretta’s head, on top. They rolled around, slapping and pulling hair, kicking at each other for a furious, mad minute.

Becky seemed to rise from the melee.  She slapped her hands on Loretta’s shoulders and forced her enemy back down to the grass. Loretta’s legs swivelled. She jabbed one in front of Becky’s body, and one behind. Realizing Loretta’s plan to trap her in a leg scissors, Becky let go and shoved herself sway. She got to her feet.

Loretta rose to her knees, then flung herself at the blonde, wrapping her arms round her foe’s knees and head butting Becky in the stomach. Becky went down on her back. Still on her knees, Loretta scurried over.  She tried to pin Becky but the blonde was too quick, squirming away and up to her knees. 

In that position, the two girls seized a fistful of each other’s hair. Jerking hair with one hand, each slapped viciously at her enemy’s face with the other. Becky scored early and luckily, jerking Loretta’s hair and pulling her head sideways at just the right time for her hand to hurtle home with a slap so hard it made the African American’s entire body shudder.

Loretta seemed dazed.  For a second her free hand dropped to her side. Becky got a couple more slaps in before the bigger girl recovered and clawed the Southerner’s neck, raking her fingers down the blonde’s skin from jawbone to collarbone. Becky squealed with pain.  She twisted her head sideways and bit at Loretta's wrist. Loretta shrieked.  She pulled back her hand and yanked more hair, pulling a few strands free.

Becky tried to grab Loretta's arm again. She failed.  Loretta raked the blonde's cheek a second time. Becky responded with another barrage of hard slaps, pounding the dark girl's face as they shoved and yanked at each other. Becky landed a particularly solid slap and Loretta’s eyes rolled backwards.  She lost her grip on Becky’s hair and Becky shoved her down again.

Whether it was Loretta’s face hitting the cold and still damp grass that brought her around, I don’t know, but she got her wits back and scrambled up to her knees. Again she got a good grip on Becky’s corn coloured locks and again she jerked the Southerner around by the hair around as she slapped.

This time, Becky seemed unable to get a good grip.  Loretta’s hair was both shorter than hers and very curly. Becky couldn’t seem to wrap her fingers around it. Instead Loretta jerked and tugged, getting Becky off balance and driving her to the ground. Becky had enough grip to drag Loretta partway down too. She hooked her other arm around the dark girl's neck and dragged her the rest of the way to the grass.

The two girls lay side by side, gasping, for a moment.  Becky was still holding Loretta’s head. They seemed too tired to continue until Loretta broke Becky’s grip, rolled away and clambered to her knees. Becky too rolled the other way, scrambled to her feet and kicked out at a still panting Loretta. Loretta was ready for the attack though, and she grabbed the blonde’s foot in both hands. She yanked hard and Becky staggered. Loretta yanked again.  Becky toppled but broke her fall by seizing Loretta’s head. She steadied herself, keeping one hand on Loretta’s head and slapping at her foe’s face with the other. Loretta let go of Becky’s foot, pulled her head back and then flung it forward at the blonde’s belly.  Becky leapt back to avoid another head butt.  That gave Loretta time to get to her feet – slowly. 

Both girls had suffered; Becky’s face and neck oozed blood from where Loretta’s nails had scratched her, Loretta’s wrist dripped blood from Becky’s bite. Both girls had bruises forming on their face and – though I couldn’t see – on their stomachs and sides, I was sure. Neither could move quickly any longer, but neither was going to surrender.  Their contorted faces, their snarling mouths, their crouched stance spoke of abiding anger and bitter determination.

Becky attacked first, a slow, cautious advance, her left arm held close to her body, her right out to jab at her enemy’s' face. Loretta stepped to her left, to give herself more space, I supposed – she was standing close to the hedge. It seemed Becky had anticipated that.  With more speed than I thought she had left, she went from an almost pensive advance to a full on dash. Backpedaling, Loretta tried to slow her foe's rush with a few light jabs but nothing stopped Becky. Smoothly checking her dash, she dropped her upper body, ducked under Loretta's arms and drilled the dark girl’s navel with a right uppercut.

Loretta gasped as the heavy blow, with Becky’s full weight behind it, slammed into her sore body. A gush of saliva sprayed from her open mouth.  She backed up.  Her left side, angled away from her attacker, brushed the hedge behind her.

Again the smaller blonde struck with a heavy punch.  Loretta parried Becky's left but the right broke through and hammered the African American’s stomach for a second time. Loretta buckled, folding forward and slumping into a half crouch. She groaned.

“She's done for.” Jesse was anguished.

It seemed he was right.  Even as Loretta straightened up painfully, Becky danced around her firing hard jabs at her groaning, hunched-over enemy who wouldn't, and maybe couldn’t hit back – until she did. 

Becky wound up for a powerful blow and stepped in to launch it.  Suddenly Loretta's knee swung up, striking the little blonde in the gut. Becky, surprised and completely unready for such a counterattack, staggered backwards, a little winded.

Loretta gave her no time to recover.  She fired a punch that landed on the blonde’s cheek, whipping her head around.  “Ngghk!” Then, as Becky tried to regroup, her fists up defensively, Loretta ducked low dived into a tackle, wrapping her arms around her enemy’s legs.

Becky fell backwards, landing on the grass. Before she could roll off her back and up, Loretta was onto her, slamming her knee into her foe's stomach. Becky groaned as another rush of air exploded out of her. She tried to push Loretta off. She failed. Loretta half-rose, then dropped once more and slammed her knee into Becky's stomach again.  She did it a third time and then once more.   Becky lifted her head and tried to strike out at Loretta – there was still fight left in her, but her body was beaten.  Her head snapped backward as Loretta's fist landed hard on her chin. Becky went limp.

Loretta knelt over her, motionless for a moment before she stood up shakily. She looked down on the prostrate Becky. “You lost the argument...and the fight.”

“Only just.” Alison broke her silence.  “She nearly had you there.”

Becky had come to.  She sat up slowly and shook herself. “Yeah, I did.  You were lucky, girl!” She shook herself again, then looked at her husband. “Just look at me, all mussed up! I’ll need a new outfit, Kirk! This is all torn!”

I stared, then realised that what I’d taken to be casual clothes were all designer label.  Casual they might have been, but expensive they certainly were.

“I’m a mess, Kirk!” Becky pouted – there was no other word for her expression. She patted her hair.  I was certain she’d have brushed it if she’d had a brush with her.  She was more annoyed that she was – to use her word – ‘all mussed up’ than she was about losing the fight.

Kirk was already helping his wife to stand. “Honey, come on.” He slipped his arm under her shoulder.

“Kirk get me out of this place!” Becky hissed.  “Now!”

Loretta watched as Becky hobbled from the field, supported by Kirk’s arm. “That girl is a sore loser in both senses.”  She shook her head.  Only then did she step over towards Jesse, who wrapped his arm around her. “That's my girl...slow to anger, swift in retribution.” He kissed her.  “Come on, I’ll help you clean up.”

“Better wait a moment till Becky's gone.” Alison spoke up.  Laurence and I nodded our agreement. Loretta and Jesse waited a while then walked off themselves.

“Well, that was exciting,” said Alison. “Beats croquet on the lawn, any day.”

“Peter, it’s time for some exercise ourselves.” Kelly turned to Alison. “Do you want to go riding?”

“Yes, but maybe we'd better see to Loretta and Becky first.” Laurence answered for his wife.

“No,” replied Alison.  “That's something their husbands can do.  They won’t want us around. We'll see you shortly,” she added to Kelly.

“You’re right...for once,” Kelly said shortly.  “Come on Peter, we’ll go riding now.”

I did little better that morning than I’d done in the eighth grade. At least the horse didn’t throw me, but I didn’t enjoy myself. I dawdled, trying to remember what to do, and not succeeding very well. When Alison and Laurence, dressed in full riding gear and looking like characters out of a Surtees novel, cantered up to us, Kelly’s face fell. I knew she felt I’d let her down. I suggested they should go on by themselves and leave me behind. They’d have more fun without me. Kelly refused. She was being ‘noble’ and I knew I’d hear all about that self-sacrifice the next time I tried to upbraid her for anything.

It was about 11.30 when Alison and Laurence returned. They’d clearly enjoyed themselves. “It's a pity you didn’t come with us, “Alison smiled, “there are some great trails and they lead to some terrific views.  There are lakes full of fish and birds.  We even disturbed some deer. Laurence got so close to one stag, I thought he could reach out his hand and grab an antler. You would have enjoyed it.” She turned to Laurence. “We had such a good time.” I caught her swift look of triumph. I hoped Kelly didn’t. We were walking back to the 'castle' chatting small talk when Alison turned to Kelly

“Well that’s over.  How about a round of golf?” I knew she was winding Kelly up again, daring Kelly to compete on unfavourable terms.  Neither Kelly nor I played golf as well as Alison and Laurence did.  In fact I didn't play at all.  I knew how to, and I knew enough to know that I didn't like golf.  Kelly knew that too.  But Kelly was already wound up.  Alison had sniped at her throughout the debate with Becky about Walter Scott – a debate which even Kelly would have to concede that Becky was winning before the topic had changed to the Civil War.  Kelly was too wound up to decline the challenge so she snapped, “Yes!  I brought clubs.  Peter and I will share.” She'd made the decision and for now I'd have to tag along. Whatever I thought, I wasn’t going to be rude to her and contradict her in public.

We got beaten – badly.  I did my best but I don’t like golf.  I hardly ever play and so I just didn't have the skill level that the others had.  I tried to apologise to the others. “No Peter, I played badly. It's my fault.” Kelly took the blame. Again I knew I'd pay for her nobility later.

At least I worked up an appetite for lunch.

That afternoon I asked Kelly to come walking with me – some ‘us time’ as I put it. She agreed. We walked a long way.  We saw deer, and had a good time. Still, Kelly remained on edge. I knew she'd talk about it if I gave her time.

At last she did. “Alison got the better of me, Peter. She needled me when I was talking with Loretta and Becky. That was bad enough. But she's a better rider and a better golfer than I am. She got me playing on her turf. And yes, I know if I'd let you speak, you'd have told me not to.”  She pressed her lips together tightly, then added, “That girl!”

I shook my head.  Not for the first time, I wondered how Alison and Kelly remained civil to each other. Long ago, Kelly had realised that I'd set up her fight with Alison. That wasn't the whole truth of course – I’d set the fuse but the two of them had lit it themselves. “Yes, Kelly?”

“I respect her.  She does good things.  She teaches...sure, that's her career, but she does a lot of extra work in the class room and beyond too.  She’s committed to her sport...she and Laurence are very good sailors.  More than that, she gives up every Saturday in the spring and summer, teaching kids how to sail. She's a good woman, doing good for her society.”  She paused. “But she just gets under my skin.”

One day I'd help Kelly realise that Alison – like many others – just didn’t want to accept Kelly's claim to superiority. I shrugged.  I liked strong, dominant women. That was how I'd met Kelly and why we were together. Others – Alison among them – didn't. But just then, silence was golden. Kelly needed time to calm down.

So we walked on, holding hands, until we returned to the castle.

We joined a gathering in the huge hall. Not only had the end under the gallery been made into a coffee lounge, but there was a bar in the middle, near double doors that led into the dining room. I suppose some store room had been converted.  Whatever it had been, now it was well stocked.  There was a fireplace – yes, another one – nearby, along with tables and comfortable chairs.  We settled with Jesse and a rather battered looking but glowing Loretta. “Yes, Becky high-tailed it out of here.  You couldn’t see her for dust. Poor Kirk looked quite despondent about it. Still, she made some good points about Walter Scott.”

“Oh?” Kelly looked up just as Alison and Laurence came up, I beckoned them to sit down. “Loretta’s talking about Scott again.”

“Well she’s in good company.  G K Chesterton admired him.  Not to mention Anne Bronte and Henry James who both referenced Scott’s Marmion in their own novels.”

“Hmmph.” Kelly was not impressed. “So what.  They were both Tories.  That’s the kind of argument Becky would have used.”

“Maybe so,” Loretta resumed, ‘but there were some she wouldn’t have used. Emerson quoted Scott in a speech he delivered to raise money for John Brown’s family after the abolitionist had been hung.  That event did much more to cause the War than Scott ever did. Emerson said how Scott would have made Brown into one of his heroes. Then Thomas Wentworth Higginson – the colonel of the first coloured regiment in the Union Army – was a Scott fan. So was Karl Marx.”

“Hmmph,” Kelly said again. She pushed her chair back. “There are other topics in this world than a long dead poet.”

“I never thought you’d run out on an argument.” Alison’s remark took us all by surprise.

“I don’t run out on fights, Alison.” Kelly’s voice cut into the sudden silence. “You’ve needled me all day.  More than that, you’ve been doing it ever since we arrived. Now it’s time to put up or shut up.”

“Oh, I’ll give you satisfaction all right,” replied Alison coolly.   “But not before we’ve eaten.  Let’s be civilized over dinner. I promise I won’t even mention Walter Scott – or Waverley.”

She kept her word and the conversation flowed easily over dinner. It seemed now that Kelly and Alison were very shortly going to settle their differences – again – they could relax.

It wasn’t long after dinner – but long enough for Jesse, Laurence and me to enjoy a brandy – before Kelly and Alison appeared again. They had gone upstairs separately to change into loose fitting clothes – the kind suitable for a fight.  Once again we trooped down to the enclosed green by the stream. It looked very different by moonlight.

Just as Loretta and Becky had wasted no time in getting to grips, so Alison rushed in, grabbed Kelly around the waist and – to my surprise – and almost hurled her off her feet. Kelly staggered, but couldn’t retreat.  Alison still had hold of her waist and shook her.

Kelly, seemingly nearly stunned by Alison’s swift attack, tried to slap at her foe’s face and upper body. It didn’t do her any good. Alison shoved forward, driving her leg between Kelly’s legs and behind Kelly’s right ankle. She shoved again trying to bring Kelly down. She might have succeeded if Kelly hadn’t grabbed hold of Alison’s waist as well. Alison shook Kelly again, but didn't have the leverage to take her opponent down. A groaning Kelly slapped at Alison’s face and upper body but she made little headway. Alison kept shaking her.

As though realising she wasn't going to hip toss Kelly to the grass, Alison changed tactics.  She tried to slip her hands right around Kelly’s waist – she was going to grab her foe in a bear hug. Kelly clapped her hands on Alison’s shoulders and shoved hard. Alison’s grip wasn’t tight enough, and Kelly wriggled free.

The two women circled for a minute or more without touching each other. Every time Alison tried to close, Kelly retreated, even when Alison had her within a few feet of the hedge.  Kelly fended Alison off with a few punches that missed their target but still gave Kelly the chance to break clear.

Kelly circled Alison trying to punch her foe, but now it was Alison who dodged, ducked and weaved, frustrating Kelly's attack. Few of Kelly's blows hit and none did any real damage.

Frustrated, Kelly stepped up her attack, closing slightly, trying to fire heavier punches. Again Alison dodged or ducked most of them and parried others, but Kelly seemed to be getting a sense of where Alison would go to avoid her blows.  Increasingly often – perhaps every second or third punch – when Alison stepped right or left, she stepped straight into Kelly's fist. At least, she would have if she wasn't able to deflect the punches with her arms. Still, more of Kelly's blows hit. Alison was on the defensive.

Suddenly, Kelly groaned.  “Arrgh!” Her mouth gaped open as air and spit rushed out.  Her face white, she staggered and almost fell. Alison had ducked under Kelly's swinging arm and smashed her head into Kelly's stomach. Gasping for breath, Kelly stumbled backwards as Alison came after her, firing hard punches. Kelly's arms flailed wildly but with little effect. 

Alison landed most of her blows now, breaking through Kelly's erratic, flaky defence. Kelly backed up, trying to avoid Alison’s attacks. After a few moments she began to breathe more regularly and started parrying Alison's blows. Alison realised this and changed gears, trying to close and grapple. She ducked under one of Kelly's parries and once more tried to grab Kelly around the waist.

This time she succeeded. Somehow she managed to toss Kelly sideways and my girl landed hard on her side on the grass. Kelly lay there gulping air for a few seconds. I gasped, I had never seen anyone get Kelly down this early and this badly in a fight – not since that big brunette brute Peccavi.  Yes, both Alison and Bethany had knocked Kelly down but only momentarily.  Both times Kelly had rolled and gotten to her feet immediately. Now though, she lay there gasping.

Alison hopped down and tried to straddle Kelly. She’d done that too in their previous fight.  She’d knocked Kelly down twice.  The first time it had been so brief that it was over before Alison could capitalize, just like when Bethany tried to fight Kelly.  The second time, Kelly had had to fend her off with punches, which she did successfully. But now, so early in the fight, Kelly was down.  She was in trouble. Alison sought to make the most of it.  She dropped to her knees over Kelly.

I was hard, so hard I was almost ashamed – what kind of guy got off on seeing his girl almost defeated? – but unbidden thoughts and memories of Kelly's fight with Peccavi surged through my mind. I remembered wanting to see the fight hours before hostilities began, right after Kelly had introduced herself to me and sauntered off down the beach.  At that time, I’d been sure it wouldn't happen. Indeed I'd still been sure nothing would happen when I saw Peccavi wade out of the water.  I’d just enjoyed seeing the big – yes, too big I know – curvy woman wringing wet, her t-shirt clinging to her body, showing all her curves.  I’d enjoyed too that she had nothing on underneath.

But then the fight had happened. I didn't know, until after the fight was over, that Kelly had set it up.  As a spectator, I thought her bumping into Peccavi was just an accident.  Only later did I realise just how devious Kelly was. I was ashamed that my cock throbbed at that memory but as I remembered picturing that voluptuous, brutal bully straddling Kelly, I expected to see – no, I wanted to see – Kelly's sexy feet flailing the sand helplessly as all her pride was beaten out of her until she begged for mercy.

But just as in that fight last summer on the beach, so too in this fight now on the green, Kelly began to punch. Alison tried to pin Kelly’s arms.  She grabbed hold of Kelly’s right wrist and tried to force it to the ground. She was on the point of succeeding when Kelly hit back hard with her left, striking Alison's jaw, gut and then her jaw again. Alison’s grip on Kelly’s arm weakened.

Kelly rolled – I think she was trying to put some distance between herself and Alison in case her foe tried to straddle her again – yanked on her arm and kicked. The kick hit Alison’s side. Alison groaned and let go of Kelly’s arm. Kelly rolled further, getting a good yard or more away from Alison. Alison scrambled after her but Kelly kicked at her again.  Alison moved crablike to the side and the kick missed but it achieved what Kelly wanted, to stop Alison from getting too close to her.  Just as in the beach fight, so now Kelly gained the time she needed to get up.

I broke the silence that had reigned since we'd gotten to the green.  I clapped and cheered, “Yes Kelly! Get up, take it to her!” more loudly than I usually did.  I wanted to scrub my own disloyalty from my mind.

Kelly scrambled to her feet. She stood for a moment, panting. Alison tried to attack, to close, to grapple, but Kelly fended her off with punches. They didn’t hit.  They weren’t meant to do anything but keep Alison at bay for the moment but in that they were successful.  Alison couldn’t get close and she had to resort to punches. She tried to hit back but Kelly defended successfully.

“Yes,” I smiled, “Kelly, you’ve got her playing your game.” And so it seemed for a moment more.   The girls stood apart, trading blows, neither hitting much.  Then Kelly went on the attack. Her punches were more aimed, harder, and they started to break through Alison’s defences – not often, perhaps only one in four, but those that hit began to damage the brunette.

Alison gasped with each one that landed.  She started to defend more.  She dodged, ducked, weaved and parried. Effectively, she kept out most of Kelly’s blows, but inch by inch she was forced backwards. She tried to break away to the left, then to the right but she didn't succeed. Kelly kept shepherding her back. Soon she was all but trapped in a corner of the hedge. There, she wasn't able to weave around Kelly's heavy punches.  She had nowhere to go.

Kelly smiled for the first time in the fight as she focused her blows on Alison's torso. By mixing her blows – some to the upper body, some to the ribs and some to the stomach – she was able to get Alison off balance. Alison was breathing heavily, punctuated by pained grunts as Kelly's harsh stabbing shots hit home and hemmed her in.  Alison seemed only able to cover up, to defend against some but not all that many of Kelly’s blows. I smiled.  This was my Kelly, pounding her foe into submission. Alison’s powerful legs were beginning to wobble.  She swayed on her feet.

Then Alison ducked into a crouch.  Kelly’s blow shot over her head. Alison leapt up and to the left. She scurried out of the corner. Kelly overbalanced and stumbled into the hedge. By the time she’d turned around, Alison was a few yards away. Kelly pursued her foe again. Alison used the space to keep out of Kelly’s range for perhaps thirty seconds and that was all it took for her to spark up. Her breathing was almost normal again.  She was moving freely.  She parried Kelly’s shots. She beckoned Kelly to come closer, she all but taunted Kelly to close and attack.

Kelly did so and as she closed, Alison ducked again.  Kelly bent forward as though to punch Alison’s head, only realising too late that Alison’s aim was to grapple Kelly again.  Alison’s arms locked around my girl’s waist. She squeezed tight. Kelly’s fists pummelled Alison’s sides but Alison kept squeezing. Kelly’s whitening face betrayed the strain – and perhaps the shock that the roles were suddenly reversed – as the air was slowly crushed out of her lungs. She set her foot behind Alison’s and shoved hard, hoping to knock Alison over. Realising her peril, Alison sidestepped, shoved back, and it was she who managed to force Kelly off her feet.

Again my girl fell heavily to the grass and again I recalled Kelly’s fight with Peccavi.  It was that big brunette who had used the tactic that Kelly had tried but Peccavi had been successful.  Kelly had failed. I could almost see Peccavi standing over Kelly, her t-shirt torn in two, hanging open and exposing her full, heaving breasts. It wasn’t just memories of that moment either.  I had two pictures of that scene in my gallery of that fight – one of Kelly sprawled on the sand and one of the nearly naked brunette as her magnificent breasts swung freely.

Just as then, Kelly scrambled to her feet. Breathing hard, battered, with scratches and welts that would later become bruises, visible even in the pale moonlight, she showed the determination I so loved in her by immediately closing on Alison. To my horror, she also showed just how much the fight had taken out of her when Alison easily evaded her punches. Then, as a puffing Kelly lumbered after her, Alison danced away.

Kelly pressed her attack.  She seemed to get her breath back, to be more focused on her foe.  She went after Alison.  Others might think Kelly hadn't been seriously hurt but I knew it for what it was – Kelly's sheer determination.  She'd been hurt alright, but she was going to fight Alison with her last breath.

Then Alison darted in, her arms grappling with Kelly's as she tried to push my girl back. A moment later their bodies pancaked, breast to breast, stomach to stomach, groin to groin as each tried to gain an advantage. Neither succeeded.  For a moment then, Kelly stepped back a pace – just one. Alison applied more pressure.  Kelly stepped back two more paces. Then she tried to break away – Kelly was retreating! I wanted to bury my head in my hands. But her squeal of pain – or was it dismay – caught my attention. Alison had her in a headlock.  She was choking Kelly, whose flailing arms lashing at Alison's sides with no effect.

Suddenly Alison shrieked.  She let go of Kelly’s neck and broke away, squealing, doubled up, clutching her pussy. “You...you bitch!” Kelly must have punched her there. I couldn’t see well, with the two women locked together that way in the dim moonlight.

Just then though, I did see something very clearly.  Kelly flashed a smile at me.  Her teeth shone white in the moonlight.  Again it took me back to that first day we met, on the beach, not quite eleven months before. Kelly's gleeful smile was just like the one she'd given me then – just after she stopped Peccavi’s onslaught by biting the big brunette’s shoulder viciously, spitting out her enemy's skin and flesh on the sand. She'd been ruthless then and she was ruthless now.

I remembered how it had been that moment, in that fight, when my allegiance had changed. I'd been cheering for Peccavi, lusting for that brunette bully to spread Kelly out all over the beach.  I’d been hoping that then I'd have a chance with the brunette, fantasising about how she'd ride me in the sand dunes. Kelly's ruthless, vicious bite had changed that. After that, and after Kelly's smirk, I just wanted the fight to go on.

In that fight on the beach, Kelly had immediately pounded the brunette's belly with a few powerful blows that made her enemy stagger back.  Now though, it was Kelly herself who stood back, apparently unable to continue. It seemed she'd brought some time with her savage blow, but had she really turned the fight around?

Alison, muttering curses under her breath, charged forward. Kelly stepped away.  Alison tried again, but again Kelly avoided her. Alison smiled grimly.  She knew Kelly was running out of room.  So did I.  When Alison came after her a third time, Kelly ducked, sidestepped and ran off to the left, escaping like a running back dodging a tackle.

Kelly straightened up and giggled.  “Slow poke!”  The giggle, forced as it was, infuriated Alison – just as Kelly meant it to. Alison came after her again, hands up and widespread, ready to grab Kelly no matter which way she dodged.

Instead of dodging however, Kelly stood her ground and fired a punch that rocked Alison's jaw, whipping her head back. Alison stepped back, but not fast enough to avoid Kelly's next punch to her stomach. Alison’s spit and sweat flew. She groaned when Kelly's third punch hammered her cheek and snapped her head to the side.

Alison regrouped though, leaning left to avoid a third punch that whizzed past her ear. She retreated as Kelly came after her again with more hard punches.  Alison defended well.  She avoided most of them at first. Kelly found it hard to land one in three punches.  But the tide had – again – turned.  Alison was no longer attacking. Kelly's punches pressured her and each blow that landed made Alison wince and gasp.

Kelly was driving Alison back, slowly, remorselessly. This was the Kelly I'd seen so often. Alison didn’t seem able to stop her slogging attack. Kelly's fist met Alison's midriff as the brunette tried to break away to the left. Alison clutched her gut, folded over and groaned. Kelly smiled briefly as she seized Alison’s head and hurled her heavily to the ground.

Dropping down and straddling Alison as she lay on her stomach gasping, Kelly grabbed her foe’s chin, raising it in a camel clutch. “Give Alison!  Tap out if you know what’s good for you!” she hissed.

Alison tapped.

Kelly got up - slowly. “Come on.” She extended her arm to Alison.  “I’ll help you up.”

Alison ignored Kelly’s arm and got up herself. She shrugged.

“Peace, Alison.  Please, your husband’s friend is my man’s friend. I want to be friends with you too. You tormented the hell out of me before, and you won that round even if I won the fight. Yes, I’ll admit to you...and in front of these people...you won the verbal duel too.  That’s the one that really matters, because it’s the mental one.”

I gasped, but Laurence spoke for us all. “Kelly Haldane, I’ve never heard you admit defeat in anything.”

“Well, she beat me about Scott...and she came nearer to beating here and now than any woman has ever come, in any fight. So I’ll be more careful in future.  That is, unless we can really be friends.”

She extended her hand. Alison shook it. “Now let’s go take a shower...then we’ll have a drink at the bar –and supper; I’m ravenous- and they have a big supper menu.  This weekend is on Peter and me, so order what you like. For tonight, that includes you, Loretta and Jesse.”

And they did. The bill was a cheap price to pay for a renewed friendship.
My thanks to all who helped with ideas especially Elena and kimberleyjobber who makes her debut in this story and my editors The Scribbler and Braveheart
Blondes are cool Brunettes are Hot!!

Offline GoldenGirl

• God Member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 01:47:58 AM »
Yet another beautifully crafted....exciting.....and highly entertaining  work from a great writer.

Thank you for sharing.....and more, please!

GG

Offline Kayla

• God Member
  • Who needs balls when one has boobs?
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 09:43:08 PM »
Hhhmm, Jenn, great fights there between Loretta and Becky, and between Kelly and Alison!  :P ;D ;)

hugs
Kayla
Naughty - but oh, so NICE! :-)