News:

@Freecatfights: Please follow us on Twitter for news and updates in the event of site outages.

RE: Icons of the Sport

• 2 Replies

Offline GoldenGirl

• God Member
RE: Icons of the Sport
« on: November 26, 2013, 11:17:42 AM »
Hi Aussie

I would suggest Superstar Susan [Sue] Sexton, from Perth {?], Australia.

If I recall correctly, she held the AWA/LPWA  Title for over twenty years; and one of her most memorable fights was against Madusa Micelli.

She was still wrestling for various video producers until quite recently.

GG

Offline Bear

• God Member
Re: RE: Icons of the Sport
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 04:31:30 AM »
I couldn't agree more.  Susan was one of the last of the consummate pros; one who clearly worked hard at her craft and sought to consistently improve her performance.  I have one of her matches against Madusa, and it is a real good one, largely due to Susan's ability to make Madusa look more professional that she actually was.  I always felt that Madusa could have been a truly great pro wrestler too, but something was lacking -- either she didn't want to work that hard at it, or the waning demand for real pro women doused what inner flame may have burned at one time.   

Other outstanding pros from the same time period were Leilani Kai (both the thin and thick editions), Judy Martin, Sherri Martel, Wendy Richter and Debbie Combs. 

Personally, I still favor the old black and white era featuring the real icons of the "sport."  Makes for great Youtubing. 

Offline Markleilani

• God Member
  • I'm trying to put together all of Macbeth's work.
Re: RE: Icons of the Sport
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 05:22:12 AM »
This was a great era for women's pro wrestling. All the women you mentioned were great wrestlers (I'd also inclue Moolah - a miserable wrestler but great ring presence.

I too wonder about Madusa but give her the benefit of the doubt. She spent a lot of time in Japan early in her career, where her matches were very stiff (and included some shoot matches). It must have been a challenge coming back to the States and carrying Linda Dallas, Misty Blue etc.,