News:

COMMERCIAL SITES: Please note - if WANT A BANNER LINK? displayed on this site, please contact FEMMEFIGHT

WHY CAN'T THEY LEAVE WELL ALONE? WINDOWS XP

• 13 Replies

Offline GoldenGirl

• God Member
WHY CAN'T THEY LEAVE WELL ALONE? WINDOWS XP
« on: March 08, 2014, 05:46:38 PM »
Why can't they leave well alone?  Number 100 in an Unlimited Series

Just got notification that support for Windows XP will cease on 8 April.

After that date, anyone using it risks viruses etc.

Seems there are two options:

1. Upgrade to Windows 8; or

2. Get a new computer

There is a "help wizard" available.

Is there no end to these so-called "improvements?"

GG

Wrestlerjunkee

Re: WHY CAN'T THEY LEAVE WELL ALONE? WINDOWS XP
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 07:21:39 PM »
Hi Golden Girl,

I would not suggest Windows 8, but look for a desktop/laptop on like newegg.com or amazon.com that has Windows 7 on it.  I doubt your current computer could have Windows 8 on it due to hardware requirements.  if you need a hand, let me know!

Jerry.

Offline RedEnforcer

• God Member
  • New Profile pic by RoxErotique *link below*
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 07:22:55 PM »
Well to be honest, Windows XP is very old. It's based on late 1990s computing architecture released in 2001 and Microsoft has actually delayed this end of support a few times already.  In 2007 they tried to end support, but too many people were still using it. There've been 3 new OS versions since XP and Microsoft is working on Windows 9. The world has changed exponentially since 2001 with the rise of the Internet and now with cloud and mobile computing. XP is old especially in terms of computer programming. Personally, if you like XP, I'd try and see about upgrading to 7. It's stable and much newer.
"We are all freaks here..stop backbiting each other :)" --nutmeg78

"Red's hair is as breathtaking as a flock of wild cardinals taking flight from a noble hillock." -- sadie

Offline GoldenGirl

• God Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 07:42:19 PM »
Thank you Wrestlerjunkee and Red Enforcer!

I shall go with your advice, and plump for Windows 7; and, if I do hit a snag, I know where to come!

Thanks again!

GG

Offline Michelle

• God Member
  • Love working out, I love Stanford, I love NYC!!
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 08:53:03 PM »
I agree with what was said......I am NO FAN AT ALL of Windows 8.....get and/or stick with Windows 7 if you can as long as you can.

You can have Windows 8.  I'm glad I have a Mac more each day.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" - George Santayana, 18th century Spanish philosopher

"We're the Sultans of Swing!!"

"Remember What The Door Mouse Said"

Offline BigDevil

• YaBB Administrator
  • God Member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 10:55:48 PM »
I agree with what has been said windows 7 is good and stable. Windows 8 is garbage.
Have fun and tussle.

Offline GoldenGirl

• God Member
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 11:32:52 PM »
Thank you all for your views...I shall move over to Windows 7.

No doubt that will be dropped in favour of some other "improvement" in the next week or two! >:(

Offline GoldenGirl

• God Member
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 12:10:54 AM »
Yes, I think you're so right - and it's getting worse

Offline Nutmeg

• YaBB Administrator
  • God Member
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 12:58:05 AM »
As Red has mentioned Windows XP is ancient and with age, also comes the fact that eventually you run out of people who can do support. I have seen software providers who stopped support literally because they could find no one still working who knew the software.  Windows 7 will do what you want likely and be less of a shift. And recall this rule I was taught with change "Don't think of how you felt about the old software today. Think about how you felt about it the first day. That horrible piece of garbage that you will never be able to figure out and does nothing right, that today you are holding and refuse to let go like a child or a beloved pet. Then realize the parallels with the new software. "

Windows 8 is a big change, but one someone was going to make sooner or later. We are even now seeing a generation rise whose computer experience has been entirely mobile and via touch screens. 7 will likely be the ground level that they keep longer than normal like XP was, but just as desktops are seen as passe, don't be shocked if laptops go that way too within 10 years. 

Offline BigDevil

• YaBB Administrator
  • God Member
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 02:12:02 AM »
I have a laptop with windows 7 and one with windows 8. What Microsoft tried to do with win 8 was make one OS for all. So much so that they had to come out with Win 8.1 to bring back some of the traditional windows features like the start button. Also Win 8 with 3rd party software can be configured to act like win 7. But Why go through all that when you can get a good used laptop with win 7 on it.
When you consider that it took computers over 20 years to hit peek sales and mobile devices have already hit peak sales I don't see mobile taking over anytime soon.
Have fun and tussle.

Offline GoldenGirl

• God Member
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2014, 03:07:58 AM »
oh yes...that is so very true!

Offline rogueneitor

• God Member
  • Amateur ciberfighter and drawer
    • My devianart
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2014, 05:01:42 PM »
If you want an alternative to microsoft operating system, I would opt for a distribution of linux and ubuntu, is free and allows you to change version when a new without any problem.

Offline GoldenGirl

• God Member
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2014, 06:46:22 PM »
To all those who have responded to my post - Thank you for taking the time and trouble to reply.

I am most grateful for your advice.

GG

Offline sally

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2014, 08:47:23 PM »
windows 8 works fine.....much better than 6 was.  I skipped 7 and went to 8.  Had it almost a year now....no problems.....lol.....maybe just me.
A computer repair took off 6, installed 8 and transferred everything from 6.  Took about 2 days but cost only $49.00 to do everything.  I think that is a good deal...at least it was for me.   
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 08:51:28 PM by sally »