News:

@Freecatfights: Please follow us on Twitter for news and updates in the event of site outages.

The Case Against Trillian

• 6 Replies

Offline Gita of India

• Gita of India
The Case Against Trillian
« on: April 22, 2018, 02:59:40 AM »
Hi everyone,

Ever since Yahoo imploded, we've mostly moved to Trillian, but I have found it less than satisfactory as the mobile/web/desktop versions do not 'remember' chats in the chat histories, and lately the desktop version always freezes when I use it.

I have been using Discord for a while now for non-cyber chatting and find it very good. Would anyone else consider moving away from Trillian and to something like DiscordApp?

I thought about switching to Slack as well, but it requires more work to set up.

Thank you.

Offline Nutmeg

• YaBB Administrator
  • God Member
Re: The Case Against Trillian
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 05:12:16 AM »
No issue whatsoever with Trillian. if the cyber community turns everything into "you need 3 different apps to chat with people "  I will find it far easier to just quit cyber than juggle between 3 apps just to find a match. And never mind how much easier that makes impersonating someone..

Also with the histories do recall EACH computer you use it on has their own history. So if you look on your phone for a chat you had on your laptop, yeah you won't find it unless you paid for that upgrade.

Never had it freeze for a reason that wasn't my own.

Offline Gita of India

• Gita of India
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 08:07:20 AM »
I appreciate your feedback, thanks. Frankly, I feel all versions used to chat (desktop, mobile, browser) SHOULD be synced, since it's the same account in question. Also, Yahoo was rather good at keeping chat histories without a need to upgrade to a premium version. I see many FCF users fighting on Discord already. Trillian will probably remain the most popular choice, but I encourage everyone to seek out better platforms if they're feeling less than satisfied also.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 08:15:19 AM by nutmeg »

Offline Nutmeg

• YaBB Administrator
  • God Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 08:29:39 AM »
Personally phone chat is out for me after the month i did use trillian on my phone my usage fees went through the roof. Apaprently that is the norm with these things so fuck that.

Offline Nutmeg

• YaBB Administrator
  • God Member
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 02:09:46 PM »
Tried out Discord. I will say this as a warning :

IF you had ANY issues with someone spoofing your nickname on yahoo or trillian, STAY OFF DISCORD
It is insanely easy to do that. Just scary as fuck.

Offline Nutmeg

• YaBB Administrator
  • God Member
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 10:06:32 PM »
There is also two-factor auth available on Discord, which Trillian does not yet offer. In fact I can't think of any other chat apps, except for slack that may offer this feature.

What good is that when it is easiest chat app to impersonate someone?

Offline catfightlover40

• God Member
  • Life is like a boxing chocolate
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 06:01:20 AM »
There is also two-factor auth available on Discord, which Trillian does not yet offer. In fact I can't think of any other chat apps, except for slack that may offer this feature.
Discord  is also very hackable  unless you have top level anti virus like eset be careful 

point of fact 12 dollars a year for trillian pro thats cheap and you can pay it via your google pay store
Well, I use Trillian every day, and speaking of business model, it's surprising they'd officially offer that through Google when their direct offer is 20 bucks a year. In other things, I have to agree with nutmeg, speaking as a victim myself. A strong protection is good, but it's only worth its salt with a two factor authentication, but even without one it's more reliable than a service catering to a genre where personal attacks are commonplace (gaming communities).
The  home of my multi-part work: https://www.patreon.com/powelltothepeople