News:

@Freecatfights: Please follow us on Twitter for news and updates in the event of site outages.

Messenger list

• 9 Replies

Offline JT Edson

• God Member
Messenger list
« on: May 08, 2012, 08:18:53 PM »
Hi
Guys,

I'm kind of new to the whole communicating on line thing and I have a question. Yes I don e-mail and there is this board (a great resource) but I don't do well on the instant messenger stuff.

I just recieved a request from someone I don't recognize to add me to their messenger list. I will assume it deals with instant messanger. Can anyone tell me if that is correct?

I don't recognize this person, I think they may be from this board, but am reluctant to accept as I don't know if it is someone trying to do something to my computer.

Paranoid? Maybe. I've had a couple of good experiences with people form this board, but we always comunicated on this board first. Please give me some imput as I feel like a babe in the woods with this stuff sometimes.

Thank you in advance.

JT Edson

Offline Lauren

• God Member
Re: Messenger list
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 09:16:43 PM »
From personal experiences,  if I have not already  spoken to them here or elsewhere,  I dont accept  buddy requests on yahoo.  Your inviting spam and other crap.  If it is someone you know and dont accept, I'm sure they will let you know wherever  you met, then you can ask for the messenger  name, have them resend.  Hope that helps.  Laur.
Life's   a Bitch, and so am I.

Offline BigDevil

• YaBB Administrator
  • God Member
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 10:39:58 PM »
From personal experiences,  if I have not already  spoken to them here or elsewhere,  I dont accept  buddy requests on yahoo.  Your inviting spam and other crap.  If it is someone you know and dont accept, I'm sure they will let you know wherever  you met, then you can ask for the messenger  name, have them resend.  Hope that helps.  Laur.

I wont accept anyone onto my messenger list unless we already discussed it. And will not accept a request from someone I don't know. As Lauren said you could be opening yourself up to a lot of crap that you don't want. Like spam,viruses,malware, not to mention peoples yahoo accounts get hacked from time to time. 
Have fun and tussle.

Offline marydfights

• God Member
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 12:14:40 AM »
Quote from: JT Edson

I just recieved a request from someone I don't recognize to add me to their messenger list. I will assume it deals with instant messanger. Can anyone tell me if that is correct?

JT Edson

If you happen to send an add request there is space to explain who you are and why....thye should be using this.
You may want to just message the person and ask and see if it is somebody you would like to have added.
Of course the easiest thing to do is reject and say no but that defeats the purpose of social networking.

mary xxx
friends are those who stay and wait for an answer after asking how you are.

Offline JT Edson

• God Member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 11:41:37 AM »

JT Edson

If you happen to send an add request there is space to explain who you are and why....thye should be using this.
You may want to just message the person and ask and see if it is somebody you would like to have added.
Of course the easiest thing to do is reject and say no but that defeats the purpose of social networking.

mary xxx
Not to sound dense, but how do I messenge them if I haven't  already made contact with them before this?

Offline HB

• God Member
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 03:47:19 PM »

JT Edson

mary xxx
Not to sound dense, but how do I messenge them if I haven't  already made contact with them before this?

One way, check your message archive in Yahoo messenger. It should be defaulted to save your messages. Go to Contacts /Message Archive and you can pull their ID's from there

Offline marydfights

• God Member
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 04:49:21 PM »

JT Edson

mary xxx

Fair enough.
The add request will have given you their yahoo id, so you can just send them a message. type the name into your bar and open a pm with them.

mary xxx
friends are those who stay and wait for an answer after asking how you are.

Offline JT Edson

• God Member
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 10:26:48 AM »
Thank you all for your help.

JT

Offline RedEnforcer

• God Member
  • New Profile pic by RoxErotique *link below*
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 04:59:13 PM »
For some reason I get random add requests a lot. I usually try and check their profile. If there isn't one, then I don't even bother trying to contact them.
"We are all freaks here..stop backbiting each other :)" --nutmeg78

"Red's hair is as breathtaking as a flock of wild cardinals taking flight from a noble hillock." -- sadie

Offline BigDevil

• YaBB Administrator
  • God Member
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 09:03:48 AM »
For some reason I get random add requests a lot. I usually try and check their profile. If there isn't one, then I don't even bother trying to contact them.

The same thing happens to me. If I cant find the profile when i check they do not get added. But then being how I dont have my yahoo ID showing on my profile here I know that anyone who tries to add me isn't someone from here. And my friends know not to give my ID out to people without asking me 1st.
Have fun and tussle.