News:

COMMERCIAL SITES: Please note - if WANT A BANNER LINK? displayed on this site, please contact FEMMEFIGHT

The Road Not Taken: The Story of a Professional Wrestler

• 28 Replies

Offline Catfight Super Fan

• God Member
Re: The Road Not Taken: The Story of a Professional Wrestler
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2014, 03:00:59 PM »
fantastic story can't wait for the rematch. loved the fight :)

Offline mjg1978

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2014, 03:54:29 PM »
Awesome story

Offline Callista

• God Member
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2014, 09:05:12 PM »

I hadn't even gotten to sleep yet when the door to my room flew open and she came in. For a few seconds there was a lot of screaming, her at me, me thinking someone was in the house, but eventually the volume lowered enough to the point where we could discern each other's words.

“Mum, what the fuck are you DOING?”

“What am I doing? What are YOU doing? Where did you go last night?”

“I told you, I went to the city with some friends.”

“And then where did you go?”

“Nowhere.”

“Stop LYING to me!”

“I'm NOT!”

“You didn't put two hundred miles on the car going to the city and back!”

“You're checking my mileage counter now?”

“You haven't left me much bloody choice, have you? You don't tell me what you're really doing, you stay out all hours, you come home with bumps and bruises, and you are NOT on the football squad. Callie...WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?!?!”

Mum was in tears. She looked on the verge of outright panic. It broke my heart to realise what I'd put her through. So, I told her. I hoped there'd be some relief in her face, because she must have been imagining so much worse. There was none, though.

“Wrestling. Fucking wrestling...” she said, shaking her head.

“Mum, I...”

“I'll speak to you in the morning, Callista.” and she quietly left my room, closing the door behind her.

I did not sleep well that night.

The next morning I woke up to the smell of food in the house. Crawling out of bed, I went downstairs to find a veritable banquet on the dining room table. Apparently mum hadn't slept well either. She brought in a coffee cake and a pitcher of juice, set them on what little empty space there was, (she had to move the dish with the potatoes a bit,) and nodded to me.

I noted, “Unless you're bringing a dozen people over for an intervention, I think you've made too much food.”

She ignored my attempt at levity and started filling her plate. After an awkward moment, silence punctuated by the clink of silverware against china, I began to do the same. After about five minutes or so, she said, “Your brother would always confront me with his defiance. Hiding yours was something I was not ready for.”

I grit my teeth and said, “I have been trying for years to make clear to you that I am not a miniature girl version of him. I've done everything but scream it in your face, and since that's HIS way, it seemed counter-productive.”

“Indeed. Well, I imagine you know I can't support this...dreadful mistake.”

Setting my fork down, I answered, “Whether or not it is a mistake has yet to be determined, but yes, I knew you would not support it. That was rather the point in hiding it.”

I'm not sure I can convey the emotions being thrown about whilst accurately translating the discussion. Being a family headed by two academics, this was how arguments happened, in ostensibly civil language with vitriolic subtext. Her opening salvo was an accusation of cowardice. My reply was denigrating her parenting acumen with regards to me. Behind the precisely chosen words, we were spitting pure venom. It's no wonder my brother favoured just screaming.

“Well, one way or another, that's done with. The question is how to proceed. It seems to me you cannot further your education and attempt this...folly...simultaneously.”

“Yes I can.”

She looked at me sharply, “You've yet to manage it successfully.”

I answered, quite reasonably, I thought, “That's because I've had to work a shit job to pay for it. If I didn't have to do that, that's hours more in the day I could devote to school.”

“So you admit that you've prioritised rolling around on mats over your future.”

I could feel my teeth clenching. If she got me shouting at her, that was her way of “winning the argument.” She hadn't learned from Nathan's departure what a pyrrhic victory that was. “I admit I have prioritised wrestling over school, yes. What I am saying to you is that for a small amount of money, I wouldn't HAVE to.”

“So you would make them equal priority?”

“Yes!”

“So instead of wasting your time at community college, you would actually attend one of the moderately prestigious universities you got accepted to? Because that would actually be making your education a priority. Continuing where you are and simply performing better would be placating me while altering nothing.”

I tried to think of something, anything. San Jose State? It was close enough to...no, blast. Mum was an academic snob. A state college would not do for her. I tried to stall by taking a long drink of orange juice, but Mum wasn't waiting for me.

“I won't have it,” she said, setting her fork down and lifting the mug of tea up. “You must decide. If you make the correct decision, I'll support you. I won't support you ruining your life. If you feel compelled to do so, you can do it somewhere other than in my home.” Her pronouncement thus made, she left the table, mug in hand.

I sat there, a table full of food I had no appetite for in front of me. Two roads stretched out before me. One was clearer than the other. Go to school, work at it, have time left over for myself, maybe start actually LIVING some. Come out of school with a degree and not a penny of debt. It led to a good life. A career, a partner, a shared home.

The other path...A career in wrestling was an uncertain one, especially for women. Even for male wrestlers, you could point to names, guys who'd made it big, were on tv, and they ended up broke with broken and battered bodies.

And there was zero guarantee I could even make it big to begin with. WWF wanted plastic barbies. I wasn't that. Japan liked big foreign wrestlers for their local heroes to overcome, but I'm not sure I'd fit that bill, either. The indies and Europe were dicey, and the money wasn't great at either of them.

And, incidentally, I'd be starting on that road broke and homeless. It was clear which path was the better bet. But this time, when I went upstairs and went in my room, it was not to weep at a dream slipping through my fingers. This time, it was to pack. I filled a suitcase and a duffel back, took them down to my car, and set off down the road not taken.

End Chapter Three

Offline Callista

• God Member
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2014, 07:34:53 AM »
Chapter Four

The first step was to figure out how to get a roof over my head again. A couple of the long-timers would crash in the Garage, but that wasn't an option I wanted to take for several reasons. There was another option, also a bit distasteful for a couple of reasons, but as a temporary solution, it was probably as good as I was going to find.

I debated calling first, but it was Sunday and a holiday. He'd never be up before noon. Anyway, it's not like I had a better plan B. My few friends from high school were scattered about at their own colleges, and I'd put little enough time into trying to make new ones at college.

On the way south, I stopped at the fast-food restaurant that had been my employer, went inside, proverbial hat in hand, and told my boss I'd be a good girl from now on, and could I please come back to work. He gloated a bit, said he would think about it, and would give me a call later in the week.

The little git was so chuffed with himself I was able to nick a few breakfast sandwiches and several bottles of juice before ducking out the back and passing them out to the usual collection of homeless people there.

I went back to my car, took my uniform out of the suitcase, deposited it on the strip of grass in front of the restaurant and lit the fuckin' thing on fire before driving off. If I wasn't going to let my mother run my life for a free ride through college, I bloody well wasn't letting some arsehole assistant manager with a Napoleon complex run it for eight bucks an hour.

I have to admit, I was singing happily as I kept going. After a half-hour of driving, and a few hours letting myself work up a worry again, I shook my head and got out of my car, heading up the stairs to knock on the door of my brother's apartment.

He opened it, a sleepy expression on his face, wearing a pair of boxer shorts and a t-shirt reading 'DBAs do it on tables'. The shirt must've been a XXL at least. Given what I'd come for, I really should have said something other than, “My God you've gotten fat.”

He gave me a bemused look, answering, “I love you too, sis.”

I winced and said, “Sorry, sorry mate, just...well you kinda have.”

“I don't deny it,” he said dryly, shaking his head, “Oh, last night was the tourney, wasn't it? How were the matches?” He paused and said, “Wait, why are you....oh, she found out, did she?” My brother was many things, but slow of wit was not one of them. I nodded and opened my mouth, but he said, “Wait, let me guess. Ultimatum?” I nodded again. “Not surprised. Well, not by her. A little surprised you told her no. You never wanted to stand up to her.”

“Not precisely correct, brother dear. I never wanted to take a side in your fights with her. Is it all right if I come in?”

“Oh, sorry, of course. And of course you can stay, too.” I have to admit I let out a sigh of relief at that. Gotta give the lad credit, he knew how hard it would be to ask, so he saved me the need. Closing the door behind me, he moved a pizza box off of the couch, set it on top of another pizza box on the floor, apparently to give me space to sit down. I declined to comment, since I had bigger problems right now than crumbs on my arse, and sat. “So what's your plan?” he asked.

I'd had some time to think about this, and while it was easier said than done, the idea was simple. “First, find a job that I can live off of. Second, find some apartment situation, probably with room-mates. In the meantime, I can cook and clean to earn my keep here.”

Nathan frowned. “I don't need a live-in mother, Callie.”

“I didn't say you did. I said you need a cook and a maid. I swear you've gained three stone the last few months, and this place is a shit-hole.”

Nathan looked at me oddly, “And this is the quiet one, talking.”

“You always wanted me to speak up, well I'm getting in the habit.”

“You know,” he said, “you don't have to do it the hard way. I make bank. If our company takes off, I'm gonna be able to retire in five years when all my stock options vest. Let me give you the...”

He stopped as he saw me shaking my head. “I know you've a good job, but putting me up for a year or two? If your company DOESN'T take off, you'll be fucking glad you held onto that money. Anyway, Mum was right about one thing. I have a choice: her way or my way. It isn't my way if you're bankrolling it.”

He seemed to accept that, and it was a good thing, too. There was another reason, one I didn't want to tell him. His fight with Mum and my fight were two separate things. I was here because I needed to be, not because I was taking sides with him against her. I would crash on his couch, and pay for it with housework, sure, but taking money from him would be losing my fight and winning his.

“Well, if you won't take money,” he said, “will you at least take a referral?” I raised a querying brow. “We're going the whole 'real office' route at work, so we need an office manager-slash-receptionist-slash-whatever-needs-doing person, filing, typing, et cetera. You can type at least forty words per minute, right?”

“Well gee,” I said sweetly, “I wasn't doing all that well in maths class, but seventy-two is more than forty, right? Tee-hee!”

Nathan gave me a sour look but went on. “My boss was gonna just go to a temp agency and set up a temp-to-perm thing, but they're really expensive. We're using a lot of our cash flow to move office. Be nice if we could just hire direct. It'd be an eight to five gig, so your evenings'd be free for training, and of course your weekends for the shows.”

I agreed to interview, and asked him where he kept his vacuum. After sheepishly admitting he didn't have one, HE agreed to go buy one.

It took me most of the week to get his apartment into liveable status, and while he complained about my propensity for including “too many vegetables” in the dinners I made, (“It's a fucking salad, you big twat!”) he admitted it was a nice change from pizza and fast food.

That Friday, I had an interview...of sorts. Apparently the company only had one boss, the company founder, and he did the interview himself. The first question he asked was, “If you were marooned on a desert island with a hatchet, a ballpoint pen, and a badger, what would you do?”

”Is he just fucking with me?” I thought, but I endeavoured to answer the bizarre question. “Kill the badger with the hatchet, use its skin as a sail and its intestines as line, and chop enough wood to make a sail boat. The boat's not going to be big enough for ME, of course, but I'll use the pen to write a note on the sail.”

He chuckled and said, “And you think that'd work?”

I said, “Probably not, but a million to one shot is better than a million to nothing, isn't it?”

He laughed, “So your brother told me about you and wrestling. Is that your million to one shot?”

“I'd hope the odds aren't THAT poor,” I said with a smile.

“So if I hire you and you get a call and it's the WWF calling, I'm going to need a new office manager, right?”

“Most likely.”

He laughed again, “No no no. You're supposed to say, 'Oh of course not. I'd love this company too much!' or something like that.”

“Why?” I said, putting on a mock-innocent face, “Does this job require me to bullshit you?”

He hired me right on the spot.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 09:11:36 AM by Callista »

Offline ThePurpleVixen

• God Member
  • I'm doing science, and I'm still alive.
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2014, 08:31:19 AM »
No offense to the fine authors on this board - there are some spectacular talents here -

but reading this is like going through a stack of Archie comics and finding Watchmen.

You come into a pile of media expecting one thing, and you find something thats technically in the same genre but on a whole different plane entirely.
"What has mood to do with it? You fight when the necessity arises—no matter the mood! Mood's a thing for cattle or making love or playing the baliset. It's not for fighting."
- Frank Herbert

Offline ~Rox Erotique~

• Approved Producers
  • God Member
  • Looking for love in all the fight places
    • Rox Erotique - Fem Fight art from a slutty angry tart :)
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2014, 07:19:11 PM »
Ouff... quite a roller coaster here! I must say I'm hooked!

It's rare to find a story here that can capture your interest so fully and without any action yet too! You've weaved the diary so skillfully that the reader is too busy being engrossed by the characters before they can even remember that they're on a fetish fight forum!

Marvelous work  :D

x G x
I'm paranoid and needy. So I think people are talking about me, but not as much as I'd like.

Offline Callista

• God Member
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2014, 05:40:12 AM »
The job, like the company, (and for that matter, the CEO,) was a strange one. Even the mundane elements of it were subject to odd quirks.

Task one was to keep the office supplied with stuff. Not computer stuff, the IT guy did that, but other stuff, with “stuff” ranging from pens and paper to drinks and snacks in the company fridge. Since the latter included beer, I was reluctantly compelled to point out that I was still eighteen. Ten minutes later, the IT guy dropped by with a picture-perfect California Driver's License with my face and someone else's name. “Don't ever hand that to a cop,” he said solemnly, before heading back to his desk.

“All problems have solutions,” the Boss was fond of saying, “some just require more creativity.” I was thoroughly amused by the mindset that decided the solution to the problem of the new office girl not being able to buy beer was to make her a fake ID.

Task two was the filing of paperwork. Most of our records were digital, of course, and thus my brother's job as database administrator. Actual paper records belonged to one of three groups: Documents we were legally required to have paper copies of, which occupied a fraction of a single cabinet, documents which were otherwise important, which got scanned and sent to my brother, and everything else, which got recycled.

The third main task I had was to act as receptionist. Any phone calls into the office were forwarded into assorted mailboxes, (the general rule at this company was that if the call were important, it'd go to people's cellphones, so no one ever picked up their desk phones,) and any visitors should be greeted and handled.

I hadn't brought much in the way of business-y clothes from home, but when I asked what the dress code was, the boss' answer was, “Don't violate exposure laws.” I gave a laugh at this, right until I saw one of the programmers walking past in what looked like combat boots and a pair of bikini bottoms. “Pretty sure Dave lost a bet,” he said.

I still didn't understand what it was we DID, as a company. The best explanation I could get from Nathan was, “we write software that reads how you're using your software and tells you how to use it better.”

In an average week, my tasks took about twenty hours or so of actual work. After about a month working there, I decided I had to tell the boss that. “Yeah,” he said, “but WHICH twenty hours?”

I blinked at that. “I don't understand.”

“Which hours of the day is it you work in?”

“Uh, well, more in the mornings, but stuff comes in whenever.”

“Exactly. Sure, I could send you home at noon, but that means every time something comes up in the afternoon, someone else, someone being paid, no offence, a lot more than you, to do an entirely different job, would need to stop what they're doing. Making you part-time would be like replacing the fridge and the coffee maker with a vending machine. Yeah, I'd save a few bucks, but I'd piss people off and they'd just all get their snacks somewhere else. No bueno.”

“If you need something else to fill the hours,” he continued, “I'm thinking of putting a gym in that empty conference room.” As I said, this was a very strange work environment.

The gym never did get put in, as more people voted for a tv and game room, but I was hardly complaining. After just 6 weeks there, I'd saved up enough for a deposit and a futon, and I moved into a 2-bedroom apartment in Fremont, sharing it with a San Jose State student in her sophomore year.

My flatmate and I weren't close. She was focused on her studies, and her reaction to an abbreviated version of my story made it clear that we had next to nothing in common. We both kept the apartment neat and quiet, though, so there was little friction, there.

Once that got set up, though, I had something new: Time to myself. Training was 2 nights a week, the day job was a day job...you do the maths. I had some pocket money now, an apartment in walking distance of a train station...and a really good fake ID. Like I said, you do the maths.

Poking around the Internet in those free hours at work let me know where the “right” clubs were. It was at one of those clubs where I found myself talking to Maiko, a pre-med student at the University of San Francisco. “So what do you do?” she asked, smiling.

Now, I've had a few drinks by now, and I'm really rather lost in her eyes at the moment, so instead of coming up with an appropriately-impressive sounding title for my day job, I instead blurted out what I think of myself as, and answered, “I'm a professional wrestler.”

Maiko only smiled wider at this, and leaned forward, whispering in my ear, “Let's go back to my place and you can...show me a few moves.”

She lived close by, so minutes later, she'd taken my coat, my purse was on her couch, and we had moved into her bedroom. She leaned close, flashing the sexiest little smile at me, practically purring, “You want to body-slam me, wrestler girl? Go on...” she said, red lips lightly parted.

I gave her a quick look up and down. She looked a good 8 inches shorter than me, and was slender to boot, probably no more than 110 pounds. Still, I couldn't count on her coming up for it, so I had to assume I might be dead-lifting, here, so I bent at the knees, reaching my right hand in between her legs.

“Oooh, you don't play arooowwwWHHHAAAAA???” she started to say, her voice going up in pitch and volume as I clasped her shoulder with my left hand, grunting a bit as I lifted her up off of the floor and turned her upside down, depositing her onto the bed on her back as gently as I could, not wanting to break anything.

After a moment's pause, she sat up, eyes wide, and yelled “WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT?”

My mouth hung open for a moment at this reaction, and I said, “But....but you ASKED me to!” Surely that soft a landing on a bed hadn't HURT, had it? I took stiffer bumps onto my futon just for shits and giggles!

Confusion was evident on both our faces. She was the first one to speak, “Wait...you're ACTUALLY a wrestler?” I nodded, probably a bit dumbly. She put her hand up to her mouth, trying to stifle a giggle, but quickly failing.

I may have looked a touch annoyed, “What, you thought I was lying?”

It only made her laugh harder. “I thought....” she said, struggling for breath as she laughed. “I thought you were coming on to me. Y'know...wrestling..moves?”

My face felt hot. I knew without looking in a mirror that it was bright red. Like the English flag, pale, northern English skin has two colours: White and red. Trying for dignity, (and probably failing,) I said, “Well I WAS...just...not with that...”

It would take far too long for her to stop laughing.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 08:41:59 AM by Callista »

Offline Callista

• God Member
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2014, 06:25:08 AM »
Once she DID stop laughing, the mood was, if not lost, definitely altered, so we moved back out to the couch, with Maiko pouring us each a glass of wine. “So. You handled me pretty easily, in there.”

“Not that easily,” I admitted. She frowned. “I didn't mean THAT,” I said quickly. “In wrestling, typically the person taking a throw or slam is helping. The hardest part is getting you up. If I were giving you a body slam in a match, you'd have bent your knees when I bent down, then pushed off with your feet as I lifted. Once I've got you up, then I can turn you around and drop you down.”

“When you...slammed me, it didn't hurt a bit. Is all that just an act, then?”

“Not exactly. Wrestling rings aren't that well padded, certainly not as much as your bed. Also, I took care to give you as soft a bump as I could. In a match, I'd throw you a lot harder.”

“Oh,” she said softly.

“As for how that feels, well, not good, but we practice a lot, both to take the bump as safely as possible, and just to toughen up and get used to it. So it won't hurt much,” I said, setting my wine glass down on her coffee table, saying, “the play-acting is called selling,” before mimicking a back bump against the back of of her couch, my arms going out, and grunting, “UNNNGGHH!” selling the non-existent bump with a pained expression on my face, my right hand going behind my back.

When I opened my eyes, I could see spots of colour had appeared in her cheeks, her lips parted slightly. Heh. She was turned on. I'm not going to claim great seductive prowess, but someone turned on by the thing I love most? Oh yeah. I know what to do there.

“Lots of other throws, of course,” I say, my hand reaching for hers and gently removing the glass from her fingers, setting it on the table next to mine. “Here's a belly to back suplex,” I said, my left hand going around her waist, my right reaching under her left thigh, gently pulling her part way onto my lap. “I'm sure you can see where the name comes from,” I murmured softly into her ear, the palm of my left hand stroking her flat tummy, mine up against her back.

My right hand spent a bit of time rubbing the inside of her right thigh, just underneath her short skirt. “So next I lift you up and drop you back,” I say, not really doing much lifting, instead just letting us fall back to the couch. “Don't forget to sell.”

“Ohhhhhh!!” she moaned as we “landed”, which was not precisely selling the move properly, but I was rather beyond offering professional critique myself.

“Now that you're on your back,” I say, rolling myself on top of her, “I can try to pin you, and-” and at this point she stopped my narration by flinging her arms around me and fiercely pulling my mouth down to hers.

Offline ~Rox Erotique~

• Approved Producers
  • God Member
  • Looking for love in all the fight places
    • Rox Erotique - Fem Fight art from a slutty angry tart :)
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2014, 03:45:27 PM »
Shwing!
*drools a lot*

x G x
I'm paranoid and needy. So I think people are talking about me, but not as much as I'd like.

Offline mjg1978

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2014, 01:21:12 PM »
Please keep this story going - it's awesome

Offline Michelle

• God Member
  • Love working out, I love Stanford, I love NYC!!
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2014, 03:43:03 AM »
One thing I have always appreciated is when a writer takes the time to develop characters and then give us some in-depth incite into what drives them, what moves them.

Its nice to see that for a change and its what makes this story excellent and worth getting invested in.......especially since a "story" is actually being told.

It will only get better from here so it should be fun :)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 03:48:02 AM by Michelle »
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" - George Santayana, 18th century Spanish philosopher

"We're the Sultans of Swing!!"

"Remember What The Door Mouse Said"

Offline Ewa S

• God Member
  • Be true to all; yet truest to yourself.
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2014, 10:10:57 PM »
Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good <3

Offline tomo67

• God Member
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2014, 09:03:12 AM »
I can't wait for the next installment

Offline Callista

• God Member
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2015, 09:14:59 AM »
Chapter Five

I'd gotten off on wrestling before, but Maiko was the first person I'd ever known who actively fetishised it in this way. This was great, at first. When she realised I didn't really know any more than she did about wrestling-as-kink, she appointed herself “head researcher”, as she described it, and set about obtaining material. I'd shown her some of my joshi tapes, but they didn't do it for her. In retrospect, that was probably just as well. Since Maiko was looking for “do”, not “watch”, Chigusa Nagayo and Lioness Asuka beating the piss out of each other probably wouldn't have made a good model for us. Hell, a lot of what they were doing, I shouldn't be trying yet, never mind on someone untrained.

Eventually, we settled on semi-comp as the proper balance, for us. We both dug the play-acting part of it, and it allowed us to switch roles, whereas any actual competition between us would be short. I was bigger, stronger, and better trained. Which is to say: “trained”. That would eventually be a problem, for me, because I still couldn't quite lose myself in the play. Maiko would try out new holds she'd found, but she didn't always grasp how hard she could and couldn't apply those. Once, when I was letting her roll me, she moved into a cross-armbreaker position, or as it's known in judo, juji-gatame.

I kept a bit of curl in my arm and started to go into a moaning sell, (had to keep it quiet not to freak the fuck out of the neighbours,) but then she tugged on my wrist, straightening my arm out. “Safeword!” I yelled. “Safeword!” Yes, our safeword was 'safeword'. Unimaginative, but it was easy to remember. She was a bit pissed about that, but a quick explanation about hyper-extension made it clear what the problem was. Hell of a mood-killer, though.

In the end, we parted ways after a few months. I could enjoy being someone's walk on the wild side, (for the novelty of it, if nothing else,) but I didn't care for something so central to my identity being nothing but someone's kink to them. By the end I was grinding my teeth when she called me “wrestler girl”. It had the same inflection people use for “dominatrix”, or “hooker.” (Not judging people in either of those professions, mind you, just wasn't caring for the attitude she had towards it, like it was something freaky.)

Besides, my room-mate's year was ending, and she was going home for the summer. I'd have to figure out a new living situation. Living frugally and a reasonably decent wage meant I had a bit of money saved, but it seemed too risky to spend such a large portion of it for my own apartment. It was 2001, and software start-ups were going belly-up left and right. I ended up moving into a rather run-down studio apartment with Sara. Like me, she'd given up on college as not being for her. Unlike me, she didn't have to go through a maelstrom of maternal disapproval, but she too knew frugality was the order of the day.

As I got to know her better, it seemed like we had a lot in common. Nuts about the business from an early age. Never really had eyes for anything else, in terms of a career. Realistic about our prospects, and about the difficulties women had in this business. Still, we dreamed.

“Obviously AJW's the top choice,” Sara said, “but of the others, where would you go?”

I answered immediately, “ARSION seems like the best bet for a foreigner. Not surprising, given it's Aja Kong's promotion.” Aja was the daughter of a Japanese woman and an African-American soldier.

“You could totally make it in the WWF.”

I made a face. “I feel like I've just been insulted.”

Sara laughed and shook her head, “I don't mean as one of Godfather's hoes.”

“He doesn't have hoes, anymore. He's 'The Goodfather' now. And don't point and laugh at me, yes I watch WWF. They have Benoit and Guerrero and loads of good wrestling there.”

“My point, Miss Defensive, is that you're pretty enough to get work there.”

“Not without getting my tits done, I'm not, and fuck that. I'd piss myself every time I took a face bump in fear that one would explode.”

“I don't think they make the 'divas' do face bumps.”

“Between the surgery and the promise of not actually wrestling, you're really selling me on this.”

“I'm just saying it's an option for you. Don't look past those. Not all of us get it.”

“And I'm just saying it's not a likely one. I think it's Japan I should be shooting for.”

“Well you can't. Japan's mine,” she said teasingly.

“Nah, they love Brits. Mark Rocco. Dynamite. They'll be all over me. You can have the WWF.”

“There is zero chance I will ever work for the WWF,” Sara said.

Her predictions and my boasts aside, I had more than a few trepidations about where I could work. WCW and ECW had both folded earlier that year, leaving WWF (and it's antediluvian attitude towards women) the only big company that was left in the US. Japan was, I thought, my best possibility, but, I wasn't entirely sure it could work. Their typical foreign wrestler (or “gaijin”) was usually quite large, to seem more of a monster for native wrestlers to overcome. Monster Ripper and Reggie Bennett, both well over two hundred pounds, were examples. True, neither Mark Rocco nor Dynamite Kid fit that billing, but those were two of the best wrestlers to have ever lived. Obviously I wanted to be good, but I was nowhere near that, yet. I might never be, in truth.

If I'm honest, those thoughts kept my eyes open, staring up at the ceiling in the dark room more nights than one.