News:

@Freecatfights: Please follow us on Twitter for news and updates in the event of site outages.

Writing a tourney...

• 3 Replies

Offline fightfeelings

• God Member
Writing a tourney...
« on: September 23, 2019, 04:39:05 PM »
Hi my question is if one of you ever wrote a tournament story. I am planning one and the question is how long you write about one fight. Do you prefer short summaries? I am not sure if I could write it to a final decision. In my mind there are 16 women in a 4 groups round and after a ko round with 8 contestants.
Difficult...
Discord: iwilltellyou#2476

Offline NightCat

Re: Writing a tourney...
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 06:25:06 PM »
Hi

Long time ago I planned to do something like that, but in bit more unorganised way. I wrote a couple of short stories about a woman who was involved in a illegal fight competition. I think that I posted one of them there, but I abandoned the project due to lack of time.

In a more unorganised way means that I only wrote about the fights performed by the protagonist, without a complete classification as you intend.

I encourage you to write it, perhaps in both forms: brief summing up of the fights and more development of them. In that way, readers could choose the ones they think that are the best ones.

Regards.

Offline HeyCassandra

• Flexible in a number of ways
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 11:57:44 AM »
I would like to say that I am one who likes a middle group.   Summaries are okay but they tend to feel like they lack something.  Writing out a lot of over-developed fights can lead to a bit of burn out and exhaustion.  Test the waters and see what makes you most comfortable and doesn't lead to the same pattern over and over again.

Also, while trying to keep things varied can seem like a way to get away from burn out or away from similar endings to the fights, I would suggest staying away from using a staple of pro wrestling, the ringside commentator duo or trio.  They are often the worst part of watching sports, the talking heads who just do running commentary.  Not focusing on the actual women fighting but instead on running commentary tends to make it hard for me at least to keep focused on the actual match that I want to be engaged with.

But that is just my two cents.

Offline Golden Goddess

• God Member
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2019, 08:34:29 AM »
The easiest way to write tournies for me is to keep the earlier fights short. If you're starting with 16 people, that's a hell of a lot of writing to do. Keep the early fights short, sweet, and to the point, and as you move deeper into the tournament brackets you can slowly make the fights longer and longer.