News:

COMMERCIAL SITES: Please note - if WANT A BANNER LINK? displayed on this site, please contact FEMMEFIGHT

Edit Icon

• 34 Replies

Offline stormbolt7

• God Member
Re: Edit Icon
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2010, 03:48:17 PM »
Okay maybe to make mine more sense...

You can always add more using reply to thread. Time limits I have seen specifically deal with you being able to edit your already posted comments.

Yes I have had this be a pain before myself, as trying to get something all in, time expires before you can.
ONE thing I now do that may help others as well.
I will write story in my e-mails, personal ID outside of forums.
Then when done cut and paste it into post.

That gives you more time to have to add changes or other things to it.

Storm

Offline pollman

• God Member
  • Catfight enthusiast
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2010, 04:06:47 PM »
Hello StormB7,

I think you may have misunderstood what we are discussing here. This discussion is specifically about the time limit imposed on the use of the 'Modify' button and not about the feature thats states 'Session expired, please log back in' (or something along those lines) when you are typing a message within the message field on the forum and then submit it. Yes, that is annoying too and only seems to have occurred within the last three months I've noticed, I usually just click on 'Post' a second time and it then submits the post properly. It seems to be a session expiry problem that John may not be aware of as no one has yet mentioned this on the forum due to it being a problem that can be easily navigated around.

Returning to the original subject, I don't think adding a further message to a message thread solves the problem of not being able to delete or modify a piece of content that was originally posted by yourself. The simple solution is to scrap the time limit altogether and return back to how it worked far more proficiently before this arbitrarily created problem occurred.

Offline FEMMEFIGHT

• YaBB Administrator
  • God Member
  • I love catfights!
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2010, 04:15:38 PM »
In fact, it would be ideal if we could edit the limit to be user specific so where there are conflicts we can remove the editing rights of specific users (complainent and "alleged" offender melud) whilst the differences are settled.

I will look into that as well

Perhaps this post was missed. I agree an ideal outcome is no limit, but where we do have a conflicts we need to apply one so we know which users said what and to whom (sp?). I will see if we can make the limit applicable only to users who are in dispute.

My mind is not made up on this subject at all but we do need a solution to an issue which moderators are given pretty much daily where a post / thread is reported and upon visiting it, we find it altered beyond comprehension so have no way of telling which side is giving us the full picture.

Will have a preoper think on this over today / tomorrow.

Kids side won the footy btw ... 2-1 :-)  (they lost last week 5 - 2..!!)

Onwards and upwards..

Offline pollman

• God Member
  • Catfight enthusiast
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2010, 04:36:10 PM »
Thanks John,

Until you've figured out a solution to your problem, is there any possibility of getting rid of the time limit and returning things back to normal?

One question though...

If everyone's account is set to a default no time limit, then does not your suggestion of only imposing a time limit on a suspected member's account who you seek to punish if found guilty based on incriminating evidence seem ineffective? For by the time you impose your time limit, surely the person in question will have removed the suspected evidence? Thus making the selective time limit suggestion ineffective, unless they write something at a future date that also incites a reason for complaint. But surely, if they are clever enough to remove any incriminating evidence, they would also be clever enough to create a new account which will have, by default, no time limit set on it.

I just think the whole idea of a time limit for allowing members on a forum to edit their posts seems ill thought out and ineffective on all fronts, whether that be for disciplinary reasons or otherwise. It's an idea that just screams out to be shelved to be honest. :)

Congratulations on the footie result by the way, did the match go into Extra Time (pun intended) ;)

Offline Jonica

• God Member
  • Verified Smartass
    • A Dark And Frightening World
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2010, 07:06:38 PM »
I like the idea of unlimited access to editing for story authors.  I tend to find mistakes just about everytime I read one of my stories.  I think it is a valuable tool.  Two hours is better than ten minutes, and twenty four hours would be even better.  But I like the idea of being able to tweak my stories whenever I find a mistake or I notice a way to make it more readable.  We are, afterall, our own worst critic.

Thanks,

Jonica
xoxo

PS...Congrats to your kids on their win!  :D
Bad (Bad) Blood (Blood)
The bitch is in her smile.
The lie is on her lips,
Such an evil child.