News:

PRODUCERS & OTHER FORUMS SITES: Please note - you MUST HAVE A RECIPROCAL LINK back to this site is you wish to ADVERTISE your site on this forum. If you do not have a link back to us, we will remove your posts with immiediate effect - 25th April 2010

Writing Style: Plot Structures

• 9 Replies

Offline Kiva

• God Member
  • Critical Care RN
Writing Style: Plot Structures
« on: March 15, 2024, 11:01:31 PM »
Every novel, short story, play, screenplay, etc. has a plot. Essentially, the plot is a series of events that drives your story. When you decide to write a story about a fight, the questions you must answer are: How did the fighters get to that situation? What was the conflict about? How did the fight play out? What are the consequences of the fight?

Developing your plot will give you the framework not only for describing action, but for developing your characters, and creating conflict and tension which is essential to any good short story. For this post, I will limit the discussion to plot structures. Characters and tension will be posted separately.

3-Act Plot Structure

The most common plot structure is like a 3-act play with a beginning, middle and end.

Act I: The Set-Up
You introduce the protagonist and the world he/she inhabits. An inciting incident occurs that kicks off the flow of the story. A conflict develops and the protagonist decides to take action.
Example: A woman notices her husband spends an uncharacteristic amount of time concerned about his appearance. He is home away a lot, but buys her unusually expensive gifts. She begins to suspect he is having an affair.

Act 2: Confrontation
1.   Rising action: the tension and stakes increase. The woman starts checking cell phone records and her husband’s car mileage.
2.   Midpoint: the high point of the tension that changes everything. She finds a handwritten love note in her husband’s golf bag,
3.   Plot point 2: The character is faced with new challenges and stakes. She hires a private investigator who shows her pictures confirming her husband is having an affair with a woman from the golf club. The mistress and her husband are a frequent golfing foursome with the protagonist and her husband.

Act 3: Resolution
1.   Pre-Climax: The protagonist prepares for a final confrontation. She plots to invite the mistress to a twosome golf outing on a weekday when the golfing activity is low. She will lure the mistress into a hidden wooden area under the guise of looking for a lost golf ball to confront her directly.
2:.   Climax: The final confrontation between the protagonist and antagonist (or other source of conflict). The women fight in a wooded area off the golf course.
3.   Dénouement: The consequences of the climax. Resolution of loose ends. The protagonist defeats the mistress and takes humiliating photos to send to both husbands. The mistress and her husband quit the golf club. The protagonist decides to give her asshole husband another chance. Hey, did I just write a story?

This is a basic plot structure and works well for stores that are told in a linear fashion. I prefer the Freytag’s Pyramid structure which is similar with steps of Exposition, Rising Action, Climax, Falling Action, and Resolution. I think it allows for more complexity. Here, the “Falling Action” is actually the most exciting part, i.e. the fight scene.

I like to think of it as a roller coaster ride:
Exposition: Characters and world building (chugging out of the gate)
Rising Action: Tension begins to develop (coaster begins its ascent)
Climax: Tension is at it’s peak. (coaster at the top of the incline, when your heart is racing anticipating the big drop)
Falling Action: the building tension finally explodes i.e. the fight (the coaster has dropped into a thrilling ride)
Resolution: The aftermath.

Here’s an example from one of my stories: KFJ Friday Night Lights Out
1.   Exposition: A nurse and her daughter’s cheerleading coach meet at a boys’ football game. They decide to have a “friendly” fight, as they are both in the catpin club.
2.   Rising Action: The two women misinterpret each other, pushing each other’s insecurities which unexpectedly escalates into insults.
3.   Climax: By the time they begin their fight in the cheerleader’s home, they despise each other.
4.   Falling Action: They have an intense spirited fight. One woman wins.
5.   Resolution: The losing woman struggles to cope with the humiliation of her first defeat (I won’t spoil it if you haven’t read it.)

Note there is nothing here about character development or how to generate tension. That will need to be worked into your plot. Also note that this works well for a linear plot. If you search the internet, you  can find myriads of complicated diagrams for plot structures.  I don’t find them helpful. However, I think it would be useful to know about four basic plot methods to tell your story. I’ll provide my own examples on FCF.

1.   Linear Plot – as discussed above, this is a series of linked events in chronological order to tell your story.
2.   Episodic Plot – a series of events are not linked sequentially. Each episode may present different characters, places, or even time. This is an effective method to present your story from different perspectives or go deep into a character’s background. Poacher 4, which I co-wrote with the excellent writer, Barbarauk is an example. The story jumped around from Poland, UK, and U.S., giving depth to Barbara’s backstory and insight to her motivation to fight Paula the Poacher.
3.   Parallel Plot – two or more separate plots at the same that eventually become interwoven together. Example: Susan and Cloe will have an arranged fight. It’s the first for both of them, so they are both nervous. Your plot will switch the narrative back and forth between the two women. It’s the day of the fight. What is Susan thinking? What is she doing in her house the morning of the fight? What conversation is she having with her husband? Then switch and tell us about Chloe the morning of the fight. I love this approach. It can get you deep into both fighter’s heads and hopefully create drama and emotion.  I tried this with “If I Should Fall Behind 2”, about a rematch between two women with each one having separate stakes.
4.   Flashback Plot -  Story opens in the middle of events, then flashbacks to the past. This allows the author to give clarity and insight to the present. I love this approach and my regular readers know I do this a lot. Examples: Waiting At the Door, Summer of ’77, Goodnight Snowflake, The Poacher 3, Requiem.

This can only be a brief discussion as there are entire books written about creating a plot, but I hope this has been an interesting starting discussion.

My Advice: If you are thinking about writing a fight story, chances are you already have a concept of a certain fight in your mind. Now think about how the two women got to that point. What events lead up to the conflict? Can you show us how the tension built up. If its your first story, tell it in a linear chronological manner, in a three-act structure. What happened? And what did that lead to? What happened next? Send your readers on that roller coaster ride. Have fun.

I’ll discuss tension building and characterizations in future posts.

Everyone is invited to share thoughts, experiences, questions, :)
Don’t bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Spend thirty seconds in my head. That’ll freak you right out.

Offline sinclairfan

• God Member
Re: Writing Style: Plot Structures
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2024, 11:40:18 PM »
I love this writeup, and I love Kiva even more.  The crust on the callous of Kiva's left big toe knows more about catfighting than my entire body-mind-soul combined will ever comprehend.

.......BUT ...... (an executive I worked with many years ago said "There's always a 'But'."......)

Kiva--Your approach forgets that it takes two to tango.....and.... it takes two to catfight.

What I mean is:  even if one of the catfighters is in the denouement phase...... what if the other one isn't???  Then what, Kiva?

If one woman is ready to rumble....and the other isn't, guess what:  no catfight!!!!!!

The 'secret sauce' of any true catfight is that, by some miracle of the universe, both women decide it's "go time".

I note, with escalated/emphasized interest, that Shakespeare wrote 5-act plays, not 3-act plays.

Writers:  write all 5 (or more, if necessary) acts.

Then, and only then .... let the women at each other.

Offline Kiva

• God Member
  • Critical Care RN
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2024, 09:18:20 AM »
Thank you so much, sinclairfan!

I should clarify that Freytag’s pyramid which I outlined is the same as the 5-act play. It does allow for more plot options than the 3-act play which is a straight linear story in chronological order.

I agree that it should be clear that both women want to fight and that is the task of the writer to build up tension leading to a climax. Otherwise, it’s an assault rather than a fight and is something I never want to see even in fantasy. My golf course example was a quickie I made up on the fly and might have unintentionally implied the mistress didn’t want to fight. Apologies if that’s the case.

I will add a two more of my favorite plot tactics.
1. Start the story (Exposition) with a bang. The introduction of the characters need not be dull. You can actually begin the story with a fight that can be a prelude to an even bigger conflict later.

2. In media res. Latin for “in the midst of things.” The story opens with an exciting sequence that actually occurs in the middle of the story (I.e. a fight). At a crucial moment, the story flips to the beginning, tells the backstory and gives context to the opening scene, leads up to the present, then on to the conclusion. I did this with The Better Woman and Waiting At the Door. It’s an effective method to hook readers with the first paragraph and making them curious to want to read more. One of my favorite tricks!

Opening paragraphs can be a separate topic altogether. Rule of thumb: Don’t be boring.
Don’t bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Spend thirty seconds in my head. That’ll freak you right out.

Offline sinclairfan

• God Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2024, 11:08:15 AM »
Thank you so much, sinclairfan!

I agree that it should be clear that both women want to fight and that is the task of the writer to build up tension leading to a climax. Otherwise, it’s an assault rather than a fight and is something I never want to see even in fantasy.

And.....the assault / fight divide gets even dicier, right?

1.  If one woman has a significant height and/or weight advantage, it's not really a fight.

2.  If one woman has been in 25 fights and the other only tangled with her sister once over bathroom privileges many years ago, it's not much of a fight.  (Not Kiva, but some writers on here make no mention of the career record of the fighters.)

3.  If one woman intentionally confronts the other unexpectedly while the latter is vulnerable due to, say, an injury or a long day of physical labor or a long stint without eating or caregiver obligations, then the former is seeking an unfair/unsexy advantage.

4.  Whose home turf is the fight on?  And was that advantage obtained unfairly? 

5.  Does one fighter have 'backup' at the fight while the other is stag?

6.  Does one have an unfair attire advantage?  (It's easier to fight in sneakers than heels.)

As Kiva illustrated in her mistress illustrative example, the writer must keep-the-sexy in the story by maintaining an awareness of what the Boston Brahmins used to call Fair Play, even in a buildup and  conflict rife with jealousy, anger, and a sense both eomen have of being aggrieved.

Offline bigfan877

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2024, 12:10:10 PM »
This weeks lesson in the Art of Catfighting Lit. with Kiva :)

Plot Structures are important, and really can be thought of as.
1. Pre-fight
2 Fight
3 Post fight.

Thanks for helping us all improve Kiva.

Offline Phoenix_Falcone

• Let the flames take you...
    • Author at Fights.Sexy
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2024, 02:21:01 PM »
First off, fantastic job again with another great literary lesson!  I am loving reading these.

I will add a two more of my favorite plot tactics.
1. Start the story (Exposition) with a bang. The introduction of the characters need not be dull. You can actually begin the story with a fight that can be a prelude to an even bigger conflict later.

2. In media res. Latin for “in the midst of things.” The story opens with an exciting sequence that actually occurs in the middle of the story (I.e. a fight). At a crucial moment, the story flips to the beginning, tells the backstory and gives context to the opening scene, leads up to the present, then on to the conclusion. I did this with The Better Woman and Waiting At the Door. It’s an effective method to hook readers with the first paragraph and making them curious to want to read more. One of my favorite tricks!

I was actually going to do a write up about how one can actually do away with the standard structure and play around more once they are more confident.  My story "Timing is Everything" actually does just this, throws you into the middle of a fight at the start.  I actually took inspiration from the movie Saving Private Ryan, which starts off in the middle of the beach landing.  It's a very powerful scene because it disorients you as much as the characters in the film, throwing you in the deep end and making you pick up the pieces as you go.  The trick is, you need to make sure the rest of your story is as compelling as the start to keep the reader hooked.

It's a very common method for mystery writers etc to go about their tales, because you can start off with a big opening that shocks the audience, and then drip feed them information as you go, leading up to the crescendo at the end.

There are obviously other ways of manipulating the plot.  But I'm actually a really big fan of this style myself.

Offline MikeHales67

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2024, 03:01:45 PM »
Thank you very much on behalf of the Conscious Imcompetent who thought Freytag was married to Odin.

You are doing an excellent job of mapping out what it is I have to learn. You really should know what the rules are before you break them.
Consciously Imcompetant.

Offline sinclairfan

• God Member
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2024, 03:44:48 PM »
Thank you very much on behalf of the Conscious Imcompetent who thought Freytag was married to Odin.

You are doing an excellent job of mapping out what it is I have to learn. You really should know what the rules are before you break them.

Ironically, the Nordic Saga's [and its cousin, the Niebuligand (sp?)] are the ultimate, repeating 5-act play.
> Get to know the gods & their superpower
> Friction, usually accidental, and juiced with estrogen (Brunhild, based on a real medieval Queen)
> Conflict, incl physical combat
> Climax, literal and symbolic
> End of the world (the ultimate in de-escalation), with the promise of Renewal

And then the whole cycle repeats itself.

Offline man-of-sea

• May be in my younger days
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2024, 08:28:54 PM »
I wished I had you for my high school english teacher  :( I spent the last 40 plus years writing technical papers but I have been learning a lot here.
Thank you again for taking time and helping us out with  sharing your wisdom.
retired and self exploring daring to leave one's comfort zone.

Offline Corvus

• God Member
  • Erotic fights are ...erotic! Trillian: corvustriad
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2024, 01:58:02 AM »
I'm reminded of all those detective shows and such during the 70's.  The announcer would intone the name of the show, like "The Streets of San Francisco" and say "A Quinn Martin Production". Then, "Tonight's Episode:" followed by the episode name.

Each act would have an Act Number card, and it was always four acts and after the final commercial, it would say "Epilogue".

« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 01:59:06 AM by Corvus »