News:

@Freecatfights: Please follow us on Twitter for news and updates in the event of site outages.

The Poacher

• 27 Replies

Offline Tiberius J.C.

• God Member
  • Profile pic: James Mason as Tiberius in "A.D."
Re: The Poacher
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2020, 02:19:49 PM »
You're right, CFL40, I was over-generalizing. They had to pass a law in Ancient Rome banning the daughters of senators from fighting in the arena. Since the women or girls in question obviously weren't slaves fighting for their freedom, nor prisoners who had previously been condemned to death, nor women forced by economic hardship to fight to provide for their kids, these must have been 'affairs of honour' and the decree would hardly have been necessary if it hadn't all been getting out of hand.
One contemporary account of a duel fought in 1609 between two women in France indicates that such encounters were not even rare. Same story in Germany and even in devoutly Catholic Mexico, where two high society women fought a duel topless as recently as 1900, a scene later immortalized on its packaging by a popular brand of cigars. But, as you say, these were all disputes between wealthy women. The working class wouldn't even have been able to afford the swords let alone fencing lessons.
I'm sure you're right, too, in saying fights between girls in posh boarding schools were probably hushed up a great deal of the time. In others, where girls were taught judo, fencing or even lacrosse, encounters of a more muscular nature between the young ladies were clearly not frowned upon at all.
In working class districts, it seems to have been a patchwork; I heard Anthony Burgess say once on TV that where he grew up, most of the fighting was done by women. There was a district in Victorian London (when literally millions of Londoners either were surviving through prostitution or had been forced at some time or other to sell their bodies for cash) that was so dangerous, Charles Dickens used to ask a policeman to accompany him when he visited to do research for his novels. His very first book ('Sketches by Boz'), published under a pseudonym, features an account of a fight he witnessed there between two women.
So you're right, I was over-generalizing but I think my basic point holds.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 02:24:35 PM by Tiberius Jacy »

Offline h_k

• God Member
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2020, 02:29:03 PM »
You know, the more I read this, the more convinced I am that this should be compulsory reading for music critics (and wannabe music critics) everywhere. It may seem funny to compare someone's singing to that of a frog but people don't realize how hurtful it can be to the person concerned (not to mention the frog - oops, now I'm doing it  :-[).
Fortunately for every action in this universe, there's an equal and opposite reaction - call it what you will: karma, Adrestia, Nemesis… I call it the Vengeance of the Lord, and the Lord, as we know, works in mysterious ways and as often through evil people as through good ones. Which is why we should perhaps think of Paula as a modern-day Cyrus.

Offline Kiva

• God Member
  • Critical Care RN
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2020, 03:32:06 PM »
You know, the more I read this, the more convinced I am that this should be compulsory reading for music critics (and wannabe music critics) everywhere. It may seem funny to compare someone's singing to that of a frog but people don't realize how hurtful it can be to the person concerned (not to mention the frog - oops, now I'm doing it  :-[).
Fortunately for every action in this universe, there's an equal and opposite reaction - call it what you will: karma, Adrestia, Nemesis… I call it the Vengeance of the Lord, and the Lord, as we know, works in mysterious ways and as often through evil people as through good ones. Which is why we should perhaps think of Paula as a modern-day Cyrus.
Thanks. I’m feeling a little more inspired about my singing today after watching one of my all time favorite artists, Bruce Springsteen on Saturday Night Live last night. Bruce does wonders with a gravelly voice so maybe there’s still hope for me. The neighbors haven’t complained yet and my family hasn’t kicked me out of the house but my dog is still my devoted fan  :)
Don’t bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Spend thirty seconds in my head. That’ll freak you right out.

Offline h_k

• God Member
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2020, 08:23:40 PM »
Thanks. I’m feeling a little more inspired about my singing today after watching one of my all time favorite artists, Bruce Springsteen on Saturday Night Live last night. Bruce does wonders with a gravelly voice so maybe there’s still hope for me. The neighbors haven’t complained yet and my family hasn’t kicked me out of the house but my dog is still my devoted fan  :)
Well there you are! Dogs have an exceptional sense of hearing. Caruso's dog, Patelina, was the very first to recognise his genius. It's said that J.S. Bach was about to tear up the Double Violin Concerto until his German shepherd, Hansi, laid his paw upon the manuscript and looked at him with those big sad eyes and said: "Don't do it, Johann. The critics will come round". And Bruce Springsteen's a great man. And you're a great lady. And I think your dog is probably the first (after me) to have grasped the potential of a Kiva-Springsteen duo: whether it's billed as "Kiva feat. Bruce Springsteen" or "Bruce Springsteen feat. Kiva" - no matter. In the work of great artists, ego has no part to play. The important thing is that Humanity (and all the Hosts of Heaven) for generation upon generation to come feast its many ears upon a banquet of good vibrations.
And if your 'friend' Katie (I put the word 'friend' in quotes advisedly because I don't think she's any real friend of yours at all, Kiva. I think you should beware of her) thinks otherwise, she can just kiss… (Oh, I forgot, she already did.)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 09:00:01 PM by h_k »

Offline Kiva

• God Member
  • Critical Care RN
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2020, 07:39:48 AM »
Thank you. That is very sweet.
Here are the 2 clips of Bruce totally rocking it at age 71 on SNL.
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/bruce-springsteen-the-e-street-band-snl-performance-1103091/
Don’t bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Spend thirty seconds in my head. That’ll freak you right out.

Offline h_k

• God Member
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2020, 11:10:31 AM »
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/bruce-springsteen-the-e-street-band-snl-performance-1103091/
Wonderful! All that needed was a guest appearance from Kiva toting guitar and dog. Dog toting banjo would be a cool gimmick. Does your dog play the banjo? If not, I think you should ask Santa to bring him one. I'm sure he's a very fast learner. I'd love to see the two of you up on the stage at the Salzburg Festival, say, or the Concertgebouw, or live via satellite from Carnegie Hall on New Year's Eve. The year 2020 really has to do something fast to redeem itself and that could just be it.

Offline Tiberius J.C.

• God Member
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2020, 12:33:17 PM »
That's it! With Joseph Biden Jr. now officially the Lord's Anointed, and Jupiter and Saturn puckering up for a Christmas kiss, Bruce? Kiva? YOU GOTTA GIVE US A SONG!
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/dec/15/how-to-watch-the-jupiter-and-saturn-great-conjunction-of-2020
On a personal note, I've known Jupiter for well on 2000 years now, and never in my wildest dreams did I ever suspect he was bi.
With Saturn, yes, I had my suspicions… (All those rings!)

Offline Kiva

• God Member
  • Critical Care RN
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2020, 04:44:39 PM »
Thanks for the info. If the sky is clear, I should be able to see the “star” from my location. I’m looking forward to spotting it with my daughter on Dec 21.

As for Bruce and I jamming together, it could conceivably happen, although it’s a long shot. Bruce stays close to his New Jersey roots. Occasionally, he pops into a local club, The Stone Pony in Asbury Park, unannounced, and treats the patrons to a surprise set or plays with a local band. I’ve been to The Stone Pony in my younger days but never encountered Bruce. When I visit back in the northeast, I have this dream of showing up at the Pony with my guitar, getting spotted by Bruce, who pulls me up on the stage with him and says, “Let’s do it.” ( Think there’s a catfight story in here somewhere?) In Texas, a lot of great musicians come through Austin, so maybe I’ll get to play with one of them....or....maybe Bruce can be persuaded to come down here and play a gig...at Billy’s!

Offline Tiberius J.C.

• God Member
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2020, 10:53:52 AM »
Bruce stays close to his New Jersey roots. Occasionally, he pops into a local club, The Stone Pony in Asbury Park, unannounced, and treats the patrons to a surprise set or plays with a local band.
You're lucky. William Shakespeare used to drink in the pub down the road from our house but he never came in and treated us to a soliloquy or nothing. Least, if he did, no one heard it.  :(
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 10:55:38 AM by Tiberius J.C. »

Offline h_k

• God Member
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2020, 11:38:43 AM »
Thanks for the info. If the sky is clear, I should be able to see the “star” from my location. I’m looking forward to spotting it with my daughter on Dec 21.
You know what I think would be rather sweet? If, while you and your daughter were watching Jupiter and Saturn meeting under the mistletoe, your dog serenaded them with a little song on the banjo. What worries me though is that while your dog was distracted, Jolene's sister, Paige 'The (so-called) Princess Punisher' Parker, who's never forgiven Kelli for whipping and stripping her back in Chapter 18 of Fyre's Fight Journal, and her henchwoman, Mercedes, might turn up with shotguns and kidnap all three of you, and hold you hostage to force Kelli to throw the big fight.
Do you have a second dog by any chance? Could you borrow a dog perhaps from a kind neighbour? Or is your dog smart enough to sing, play banjo and keep an eye out for goons at the same time?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 11:42:46 AM by h_k »

Offline Kiva

• God Member
  • Critical Care RN
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2020, 02:00:33 PM »
Sounds like a real knuckle biter  :). All excellent plot suggestions. Hopefully, I’ll have some new stuff out soon. Wakefulness and time have been scarce commodities lately.

Offline papillon

• God Member
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2022, 02:23:35 PM »
Your friend should have listened, shouldn't she? But would you have listened to her if she'd told you to 'let it be' when you went gunning for Cynthia?

Offline Tiberius J.C.

• God Member
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2022, 06:11:08 AM »
The laugh's really on Katie in this story, isn't it? She thinks she's the hunter, that she's the one springing the ambush, when in fact she's walking into a trap how many years in the setting? You have to wonder whether Paula hasn't been making Katie's life a living hell at work for three years (partly, at least) to set her up. "Here's a feisty little spitfire," she probably thought when she first set eyes on Katie. "I'm going to have lots of fun breaking her."
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 12:25:29 PM by Tiberius J.C. »