News:

COMMERCIAL SITES: Please note - if WANT A BANNER LINK? displayed on this site, please contact FEMMEFIGHT

1950s pro wrestling feat. “world’s ugliest woman”

• 8 Replies

Offline Kiva

• God Member
  • Critical Care RN
Don’t bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Spend thirty seconds in my head. That’ll freak you right out.

Offline Brandiprowstls

• God Member
Re: 1950s pro wrestling feat. “world’s ugliest woman”
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2023, 05:32:05 PM »
Now that was…well…pretty weird actually.
Love all, trust few, do wrong to none......except in the ring.

Offline Kiva

• God Member
  • Critical Care RN
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2023, 10:57:44 AM »
Now that was…well…pretty weird actually.
Very weird. Some promoter got the idea to have a wrestler shave her head and put dark makeup around her eyes, bill her as the ugliest woman and call her “Yulie Brynner”, an obvious knockoff of actor Yul Brynner.

Rose Roman is the better athlete and carries  the match, but has to do a humiliating job at the end.  :(
Don’t bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Spend thirty seconds in my head. That’ll freak you right out.

Offline Nutmeg

• YaBB Administrator
  • God Member
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2023, 12:11:07 PM »
Her look is part of the Angel trend in wrestling from that time (she is also known as Lady Angel ). The cause was the success of Maurice Tillet AKA the French Angel. When he was 20 he developed acromegaly which causes bone thickening and overgrown and left him rather odd looking to say the least. He became a wrestle rin 1937 and was a huge box office draw in the 40's. As a child he had an angelic face and his friends nicknamed him Angel.

SO if one bald odd looking person can make money surely  others can too. The most famous of the other Angels was Tor Johnson of Ed Wood movie fame  (who was the Super Swedish Angel) We had Swedish, Canadian, Russian, Polish, Irish , Czech, Golden, Black and Lady Angels. And many of these came from Jack Pfefer who never found a gimmick he couldn't steal and try to profit from as a promoter. 

https://slamwrestling.net/index.php/2012/02/02/the-french-angel-was-more-man-than-monster/

Offline Brandiprowstls

• God Member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2023, 04:36:38 PM »
Wow.  Somebody knows her wrestling stuff. Thanks Meg. All pro wrestlers are freaks in a way, albeit loveable ones mostly, but this takes it to a new level.
Love all, trust few, do wrong to none......except in the ring.

Offline till32

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2023, 06:46:44 PM »
I`m sorry, but it`s not okay to call her the "ugliest woman" - think, she has a much better body and face than a lot of the spectaors :-)
hello, i love female fights or fights man vs man in front of female audience

hallo, ich mag frauenkämpfe oder mann gegen mann, wenn Frauen zuschauen und anfeuern

Offline Bear

• God Member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2023, 04:42:58 AM »
"most ugliest" is redundant and grammatically incorrect. 

Offline Kiva

• God Member
  • Critical Care RN
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2023, 07:16:22 AM »
"most ugliest" is redundant and grammatically incorrect.

Agree, but I’m not seeing that on this thread.

I`m sorry, but it`s not okay to call her the "ugliest woman" - think, she has a much better body and face than a lot of the spectaors :-)

She wasn’t ugly at all. Yulie Brynner was a character played by Jean Noble, an attractive woman made up to look that way. See pics below. Top is Jean Noble, middle is Jean as Yulie Brynner.

Maurice Tillet (French Angel, bottom pic), the inspiration for the Yulie character, on the other hand, truly had a misshapen head and face due to a medical condition called acromegaly. See Nutmeg’s excellent post. It’s a shame he was presented as a freak. It seems he was a wonderful man and was spoken of kindly by other wrestlers of his day (see the link in Meg’s post).

Thank you, Meg for that fascinating piece of pro wrestling history.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2023, 07:18:42 AM by Kiva »

Offline till32

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2023, 04:42:52 PM »
This seems a video of jean noble  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE42wSDui68

There you can see, what a sexy woman she was - too poor, the former wrestlers didnt catfight in a little less clothes ;-)
hello, i love female fights or fights man vs man in front of female audience

hallo, ich mag frauenkämpfe oder mann gegen mann, wenn Frauen zuschauen und anfeuern