News:

@Freecatfights: Please follow us on Twitter for news and updates in the event of site outages.

Blank/Left profiles??

• 5 Replies

Offline Pedromalone

Blank/Left profiles??
« on: August 15, 2019, 05:59:21 AM »
I have been on here on and off for a while,  yet one thing I have seen on here are some blank profiles.  I realize that having a blank profile isn't bad, yet if it's one that has stayed blank for a few years then I think the profile should be deleted,  I mean if no ones using a profile then why is it up.  People do search the members on here at times, and it would be nice to only have to search though the ones that have been active.   I do think that this could make the members list easier.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 06:03:11 AM by Pedromalone »

Offline Nutmeg

• YaBB Administrator
  • God Member
Re: Blank/Left profiles??
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 10:50:35 AM »
We already do that. Been doing it for two years now. When we first started we deleted all profiles that had not been logged in for five years or more. It took 3 admins 2- 3 weeks of work to delete the 10 000 profiles that fit this.

To keep up this standard every six months or so it takes between 2 -3 work days of time to do if not more. There isn't some magic quick deletion function on the database here. Profiles with posts have to be done individually taking 2-3 minutes. We also take care to not delete members we know are deceased and respected, such as Britbrat and Academy Bruce. We also make sure we aren't deleting 30 stories by doing one profile. Currently we have about 600-700 profiles with posts to be deleted via this process.

All three admins are unpaid volunteers with day jobs of some sort so we are not in a huge rush to do this. And we have no desire to make even more work to make the period of deletion shorter than 5 years given the amount it would likely entail just to save a few people a minute or two on a search.

Offline BigDevil

• YaBB Administrator
  • God Member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 07:27:37 PM »
We already do that. Been doing it for two years now. When we first started we deleted all profiles that had not been logged in for five years or more. It took 3 admins 2- 3 weeks of work to delete the 10 000 profiles that fit this.

Wow! 10.000 profiles!

Yes it was 10,000 unused profile we deleted.
Also we have a lot of active members with blank profiles so just because a profile is blank it doesn't mean they aren't active members.
Have fun and tussle.

Offline Pedromalone

Not easy process.
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 04:14:27 AM »
Okay I can respect that it's not an easy process, and I do see that making sure your not deleting to many stories or other things that are attached to a profile is a good thing.  I also can recognize that even the people that run this site have other jobs.  I also do think getting rid of 10,000 profiles is pretty good.   I do realize that blank profiles don't necessarily mean that the person is not active, though I have at times seen profiles where the person left it blank and hadn't been on in like 2-3yrs.  Now you say there is no automatic delete button for files and that I can understand. Now you do have it where you can report a profile to the admins, my question is there a way that normal members can maybe alert admins to profiles that seem pretty inactive  (ones that haven't been logged into for some time, that don't have any stories or stuff attached to them)?   so that maybe the members can help out with this?

Offline Nutmeg

• YaBB Administrator
  • God Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 04:40:42 AM »
We have members who don't come on for years at a time.  I don't understand why inactive profiles are such a big deal for you. Quite honestly I feel it is a ton of work for us for very little real benefit.

Drop it please. We are doing what we can when we can. We have a system and don't need to be adding more work just so someone can save 15 seconds on their random searches.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 05:00:29 AM by nutmeg »

Offline Pedromalone

Okay
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 08:51:08 PM »
Sorry did not mean to offend. If you got a system in play good. I  Just wanted to know if the members could help out more.