News:

@Freecatfights: Please follow us on Twitter for news and updates in the event of site outages.

Loni Anderson vs Linda Evans strap fight

• 4 Replies

Offline sinclairfan

• God Member
Loni Anderson vs Linda Evans strap fight
« on: November 20, 2020, 03:55:50 PM »
CBS SPORTS SPECTACULAR
September 21, 1976
Loni Anderson interview

Phyllis George:  Good afternoon, sports fans.  Tomorrow afternoon, at halftime of CBS's coverage of our NFL Doubleheader game between the Dallas Cowboys and Minnesota Vikings, we will be airing an unscripted fight between actresses Loni Anderson and Linda Evans.  But this will be no ordinary girlfight.  Both women will be provided a fight feet long leather strap, to do with what they please.  Even setting it aside on the ground for paortions of, or all of, their fight, if that's what they so choose.  Loni, how did this fight come about.

LA:  Well, .... and good to see you again, Phyllis,.... you and I are friends from way back ..... actresses like Linda Evans and I just got a little tired of seeing ABC set up actresses in jiggle-fests with psudo-celebrities like Cathy Lee Crosby and athletes like Chris Evert.  Linda and I do our own fight scenes in movies and on TV.... we don't use stunt doubles .... so we thought America deserves to see what a real girlfight looks like.

PG:  So, I definitely get the reaction to ABC--even our friends at NBC have developed a response of their own.  But why an actual weapon?

LA:  Well, Phyllis, you grew up in Kentucky, so you know as well as I do that while Lynda Carter and Farrah Fawcett were rolling around under football bleachers, real women like you and Linda Evans and I were in hay barns and corrals, learning bourbon and love-making from the boys, and fighting and kicking with leather boots and ropes  with the girls.  Admit it, Phyllis.

PG:  You've got me there, Loni  [Shows her left tricep]  Here's a scar to prove it.  No pre-existing animosity between you and Linda Evans that we should know about.

LA:  Just that we each have one on-screen filmed fight victory to our credit--hers on McCloud against Stephanie Powers.  Ever since that was aired, she and I have been itching for the opportunity to find out who would win between her and me.  I always assumed it would be scripted, but tomorrow we'll find out unscripted.  And I can't wait.

PG:  Neither can we, Loni.  Up next, Linda Evans.

Offline sinclairfan

• God Member
Re: Loni Anderson vs Linda Evans strap fight
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 04:24:47 PM »
CBS SPORTS SPECTACULAR
September 21, 1976
Linda Evans interview

PG:  Hello, everyone.  Phyllis George again, now joined by Linda Evans, who will be fighting Loni Anderson, only on CBS, tomorrow.  Linda, Loni was quite .... nonchalant .... about the presence of two weapons, a pair of 5-foot long leather straps, when you Loni fight tomorrow.  I'd like to know, are you similarly blase about it.

LE:  Hello, Phyllis.  Well, not so much blase .... a rawhide strap can do a helluva lot of damage, after all, in the hands of a trained catfighter .... as, let's say, matter-of-fact about it.  Phyllis, I think I'd refer you to Lindsay Wagner's interview, as an example of someone who cut her girlfighting teeth in her twenties, as opposed to during middle school.  I'll add myself to that category .... and this is where I think Lynda Carter goes wrong, constantly reliving her school days ..... Phyllis, I was in my early 20s, I had just moved to Hollywood from the San Fernando Valley, and my boyfriend at the time, who was very much in love with, was flirting with our .... his, really .... was flirting with his insurance agent.  I caught them from a series of hang up calls, reading phone bills, et cetera.  Well, Phyllis, I confronted her after hours at her office one day, and of course we were in each others' hair in a matter of seconds ..... high school catfight tactics for, say, 45 seconds, let's call it ..... she was a very young, fit woman, by the way ..... I could tell right away this was going to be a war .....

PG:  Go on, Linda.  I never would have guessed!  You, in a real office catfight!

LE:  ....Oh, he'll, yes, this was real.... well, anyways, we're locked up in a catball on these hard, aluminum desks ...  mail sorting tables, really .... and there were these 3-hole punch, metal office equipment pieces, .... I mean, industrial strength ones .... and we started using them right away as weapons .... trying to gash each others' foreheads with them. 

PG:  And succeeding?

LE:  As the fight went on, yes.  Both of us had horrible cuts on our faces, our noses, our arms.  Bleeding all over the tables.  It was just a vicious catfight.  Just, total anger .... rage, really, .... from both of us.  So, the point is, real weapon fight with the weapons at hand.

PG:  So, Linda, you skipped the best part.  Who won the fight between you and the insurance agent??

LE:  Well, given that no one knew we were even in the office, thank goodness I did.  She would have been able to do anything she wanted to me if she had submitted me.  Not to get melodramatic, but I might not be here today.  It ended their affair, so .... Lynda Carter would call me the alpha between us, cuz I was the one who got to sleep with who I wanted.

PG:  That's quite a story.  So Loni expressed a .... need, almost ..... to fight you, ever since your McCloud catfight victory over Stephanie Powers.  Is the feeling mutual?

LE:  Very much so, Phyllis, ever since I saw her catfight on 'Incredible Hulk'.  That put she and I on a collision course, and tomorrow will be the culmination of that.

PG:  Any predictions?

LE:  Well, let's ask the insurance agent.

PG:  Touche.

Offline sinclairfan

• God Member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 09:57:10 PM »
NFL ON CBS
LONI ANDERSON-LINDA EVANS FIGHT ANALYSIS
Phyllis George, Jayne Kennedy

PG:  We'll get right back to Cowboys-Vikings football in a couple minutes, but first my colleague Jayne Kennedy will join me to break down the .... well, to break down, and Jayne, I don't know if there's any other way to say this, but the absolute beating just witnessed Linda Evans unleash on Loni Anderson.  Your initial thoughts, Jayne?

JK:  Freudian slip, Phyllis?  "Unleash"? 

PG:  <<<chuckles>>>

JK:  Phyllis, I don't mind confessing that, despite my glamorous image, for a bit of my childhood, I was raised by extended family in the 'hood.  And, Phyllis, the ferocity in Linda Evans, ..... and I mean for this to come out as a compliment .... Phyllis, Linda Evans has a mean streak in her that you'll be hard pressed to surpass in any mean streets anywhere in America.

PG:  Jayne, what I found interesting is that Loni set her strap down at the start of the fight, motioning at Linda to fight her with fists ....

JK:  ..... or at least bare hands ....

PG:  .....point taken, at least bare hands, maybe pulling hair .... but Linda, here on replay, we see Linda whith the strap coiled around her left hand..... using it as a makeshift boxing glove ....

JK .... or boxing glove tape .....

PG:..... yes, like a taped fist .... and just jabbing at Loni's face, repeatedly .....

JK :.... and we see the fear in Loni's face, as she realizes her mistake in dropping her strap .... and trying to pry Linda's off of Linda's left hand .....

PG:  ..... and, I love this part .... Linda pushing Loni's head down and raining punches, rabbit punches really, on Loni's back and the back of Loni's head ....

JK:... and Phyliis, excuse the expression, but that fight tactic is "ghetto" .... for anyone who's ever been in a barfight ... it's an absolutely frightening move to endure ..... just, completely helplessness, really ....

PG:  Jayne, where do we think Linda Evans learned to fight like this?

JK:  Well, we never really know a woman, do we?, until we see her in a catfight.  Now, she did say she had been itching to fight Loni for awhile.  I think she devised that fight strategy in advance, and Loni was just unable to adjust on time. 

PG:  Or maybe she underestimated Linda.  I think many of us did.  Now back to Irv Cross in our studios.

Offline sinclairfan

• God Member
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 03:01:30 PM »
September 22, 1976
60 MINUTES SPECIAL LIFE EDITION
Linda Evans interview

Lesley Stahl:  Good evening, 60 Minutes viewers.  This evening, we pre-empt our originally-planned edition of 60 Minutes on the Raid on Entebbe with a pair of interviews with the combatants in this afternoon's strap fight between Linda Evans and Loni Anderson, which was aired on CBS at halftime of the Minnesota Vikings' win over the Dallas Cowboys.  We will air Raid on Entebbe next Sunday.  But tonight, I'm pleased to be joined by, first, the victor, Linda Evans.  Linda, welcome, and we can clearly see some scratches and scrapes on your face.  How are you feeling?

Linda Evans:  Good evening, Lesley.  Thank you for having me on such short notice.  My family and close friends have been trying to contact me since watching this afternoon's fight, expressing concern for my safety and well-being.  I want to reassure them that I'm quite all right, and that [air quotes] 'you should see the other girl'.  Of course, that's pretty much the case in any, if not all, of my fights, so of course my friends of longest standing will not be surprised by any of that.  But, yes, I actually feel much, much better than I look right now.  These bruises will heal, but the memories of the fight will last a lifetime.  Hopefully for Loni as well--you'll need to ask you that yourself.

LS:  Well, certainly your confidence is unbruised in any way.  Linda, I need to ask you ..... in her color commentary of this afternoon's fight, I think our own Jayne Kennedy was speaking for all of America when she said we saw a side of Linda Evans that many of us didn't realize existed .... and, by that, she wasn't referring to the fact that you fight .... in the spring, all viewers of McCloud saw you fight Stephanie Powers in a very lengthy catfight .... what Jayne was getting at was the directness of your hostility towards Loni Anderson.  We found out later, after Lynda Carter's fight with Farrah Fawcett and Chrissy Evert's with Cathy Lee Crosby, that there was a man ... a mutual love interest ..... involved between the fighters.  Anything we should know between you and Loni?  The fight was so violent.

LE:  Well, Lesley, I know '60 Minutes' is an investigative journalism show, so I appreciate the question.  Loni's love life and mine has not crossed paths ..... I think Loni has had her plate full interfering with Burt Reynolds and Sally Field ..... but you ARE on to SOMETHING.  Two thing, really.

LS: Oh, this should be good.

LE:  The first is ..... although I'm not saying I deserved her role in 'WKRP in Cincinnati' .... I don't 'do comedy .... I will admit I've grown weary of working in supporting roles like the one on 'McCloud', while Loni gets lead roles on WKRP and guest spots on game shows and talk shows like Merv Griffin.  I took advantage of my opportunity to show who's 'lead woman's between her and myself for anyone casting, say, TV movies.

LS:  And your second beef with Loni?

LE:  Yes, thank you Lesley.  Loni's Phyllis George interview, where she talked a big game about Kentucky haybarn fights.  Well, Loni [turns to camera] .... there's another farm girl saying, which is 'All Hat, No Cattle'.  I think we saw what Loni did, ..... or didn't do .... when presented with an actual leather strap.  It's one thing to get hit with one, Loni.  It's another to hit a woman with one.  And to know how to use one.  Loni came up a little short in that department today.  I just made her pay the price.

LS:  Linda, if I may say ..... and, you're coming across as authentic, I mean that as a compliment .... but you seem to genuinely enjoy fighting.  Am I out of line saying that?

LE:  You're not out of line in that at all, Lesley, and again , yes, I want that to be evident to any casting directors, and producers, and screenwriters out there .... if you're casting a role for a woman, be it a cop drama, a historical Western or costume drama .... yes think of me and what I bring to the screen.  Think of the male ..... and female ...... viewers, and how they'll tune in to watch me fight on screen.

LS:  Linda, I think you have us all convinced on screen .... how about OFF-screen.  Does Linda Evans enjoy fighting off-screen?

LE:  Lesley, I can only think of one thing .... [winks] .... more exhilarating than a girl-on-girl fistfight.  And sometimes even THAT falls flat.  But a fistfight never does.  Not even when your opponent proves as disappointing as Loni.

LS:  Thank you, Linda.  Next up .... Loni Anderson.

Offline sinclairfan

• God Member
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2020, 05:54:37 PM »
SEPTEMBER 22, 1976
60 MINUTES SPECIAL EDITION
LONI ANDERSON INTERVIEW

Lesley Stahl:  We're back, this time with the woman Linda Evans in Sunday afternoon's strapfight, Loni Anderson.  Loni, we can obviously see the swelling on your face, but I'm told there were no cuts and therefore will be no scars.  Is that your understanding, and what would you like to say to your fans?

Loni Anderson:  Well, the first thing I'd like to say is.... that I'm not going to be a sore loser .... like Lynda Carter was when she lost to Cathy Lee Crosby.  Linda.... Linda Evans I mean ..... beat me fair and square.

LS:  ......bbbuuutttt.....

LA:  But .... and I think these are fair points to bring up ..... the first is ... Linda Evans is not now .... And Never Will Be .... the actress I am .... or, for that matter, that Farrah Fawcett or Lynda Carter are .... she will NEVER carry a TV show .... or a movie .... or even be a poster girl....  NEVER .... Lesley, give a break ,  ....  what American teenager ANYWHERE wants a poster of Linda Evans on his ceiling???  None, Lesley.  We all know the answer is ....  NONE.  Not a single one.  She's a supporting actress.... a one-show guest, like she was McCloud .... she won the fight, .... against me..... but it was televised because of ME.  The leading lady doesn't always win the catfight, Lesley.  Linda won the fight ... but that was LONI ANDERSON fight.

LS:  Loni, .... even if you have a point going into today's fight .... aren't people .... directors, fans .... likely to look at Linda Evans differently after the .... the energy .... the athleticism.... the toughness she showed in fighting you with a leather strap??

LA:  Ok, Lesley .... so, that's a good segue to my second point, which is .... the straps .... Lesley, I was raised on a real ranch in Kentucky, and I have the callouses the prove it .... [shows palms] .... Lesley, when we girls, the ones who did actual chores and on the farm ... lifting hay, whatever ..... when we'd go into the barn on days it was too hot, Saturday nights, whatever ....

LS .....To fight each other?....

LA:  Damn right, to blow off steam, to fight a rival, to put a new girl in her place, you name it ..... Lesley, in those fights, you lay the strap at the side of the circle or pit you're fighting in .... and Lesley, I know all those grips and knots that Linda used on me .... every dawn one .... but two women fight hand to hand first ..... before you then grab the strap.....

LS: .....But Loni, when it was clear Linda wasn't going to fight that way, couldn't you have done something .... anything .... to defend yourself?

LA: .....Like I said, Lesley.... Linda got me, fine, lesson learned .... I'm speaking to my fans ..... who know me .... I know how to fight the way Linda fought .... I just thought we'd fight hand to hand, at least to start ....

LS:  Would you fight her again?  Hand to hand, no weapons?

LA:  Lesley, I'm glad you asked .... and the answer is .... No .... no I won't fight Linda Evans again .... she was a one time guest in my life .... and her guest appearance is over.

LS:  Ladies and gentlemen, a .... defiant .... Loni Anderson.  Beaten but unbowed.