News:

@Freecatfights: Please follow us on Twitter for news and updates in the event of site outages.

slow script error

• 19 Replies

Offline shmarbles

slow script error
« on: July 19, 2011, 12:03:19 AM »
When the room is rather full, i was just wondering why there is a script error that says java or something might run slow do you wish to abort etc.

can someone tell me what is going on and is it my computers fault, or is it due to the server? if its the server, is there anything going on to resolve the issue?

Offline FEMMEFIGHT

• YaBB Administrator
  • God Member
  • I love catfights!
Re: slow script error
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 07:21:33 AM »
anyone else having this issue?

Offline BigDevil

• YaBB Administrator
  • God Member
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 08:25:33 AM »
i also get the same message when the room is full, Also sometimes when the room is rather full it will cause my browser to crash. I use the latest version of Firefox,  keep adobe and java.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 09:44:45 AM by BigDevil- »
Have fun and tussle.

Offline Nutmeg

• YaBB Administrator
  • God Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 08:36:13 AM »
I've also had the same error since day 1 here. I think it has to do with the Abode reader. If I get the error tonight I will try to copy it and paste it here. It basically says a script is making the program run slow and do you wish to abort or not. If you say no it just asks you the same thing a second later. If you say yes it either freezes the room or crashes the plugin entirely. It does happen more often with a full room but has also happened to me with less people. Usually I just refresh the page I think this may also be related to what happens when the room 'crashes' namely a lot of people experience it and have to refresh the page.

Offline Busty Judy D

• God Member
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 09:02:57 AM »
I stopped to go to the chat entirely for a while because of this. Ten minutes of freezed blue screen, then 20 notices that a script might cause the computer to work slowly, then nothing.

I think it works better when you update the Adobe reader and flashplayer and whatnot constantly, and don't have 10 other tabs and windows open. That's what I did, and yesterday it worked pretty well. That is, until 60 people were in the room, then it crashed for me a few times, as well.

Offline RedEnforcer

• God Member
  • New Profile pic by RoxErotique *link below*
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 03:41:53 PM »
I started having this issue this past Saturday. I usually keep my programs updated but I'll check things out before popping in again.
"We are all freaks here..stop backbiting each other :)" --nutmeg78

"Red's hair is as breathtaking as a flock of wild cardinals taking flight from a noble hillock." -- sadie

Offline Brit_brat2

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 09:25:33 AM »
Hi all,

I am currently using a dongle through a network that has very very poor reception. I do not have Java installed and cant do it as I am not the administrator of this machine and cant install anything.  When I am at home and using normal IP I have no issues regarding the script message at all on this machine, although when I use my son's computer which does have Java I get the 20+ script messages like the rest of you.

When I first started using the dongle chatting in the room was nearly impossible but I must say in the past day or so it has improved enormously. In addition my colour disappeared which is an indication that something has happened to the system to make an improvement.

As for problems when the room reaches 50+ .............. well what can I say other than FEMMEFIGHT is the culprit in allowing the room to go over that number........... he has tried to blame me on a number of occasions but rest assured I am a wise old bird and suggested a maximum of 50............ so I say petition him, bombard him, nag him, soak him to get the room number reduced t 50  ;D

Brit

Offline BigDevil

• YaBB Administrator
  • God Member
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 09:51:06 AM »
As for problems when the room reaches 50+ .............. well what can I say other than FEMMEFIGHT is the culprit in allowing the room to go over that number
It has crashed on me with the same message weather there was 50+ people or 15 - 20 people.
Have fun and tussle.

Offline Busty Judy D

• God Member
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 06:11:31 PM »
45 users in the chat, and it wont let me be the 46th :(

Wrestlerjunkee

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 11:08:39 PM »
Practical steps:

Defrag your computer regularly

Eliminate un necessary programs

Don't try and run other programs that use Flashplayer at the same time as FCF

Also check your machine on a regular basis for spyware, etc as malware will slow your computer down.

Hate to say this, but here we go.  I am sys admin.  I have worked on computers for way over ten years now.  What is happening is a server side issue not a client side.  The server is running the flash script.  I have seen this happen to me when a user logs in and out over and over and over.  This causes the chat to crash and the only way back in is if you close the browser and start fresh again. 

Offline RedEnforcer

• God Member
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 02:26:31 AM »
Practical steps:

Defrag your computer regularly

Eliminate un necessary programs

Don't try and run other programs that use Flashplayer at the same time as FCF

Also check your machine on a regular basis for spyware, etc as malware will slow your computer down.

Hate to say this, but here we go.  I am sys admin.  I have worked on computers for way over ten years now.  What is happening is a server side issue not a client side.  The server is running the flash script.  I have seen this happen to me when a user logs in and out over and over and over.  This causes the chat to crash and the only way back in is if you close the browser and start fresh again. 

He's right. I'm a coder with experience in server/client issues.  Now, this doesn't mean you should ignore what QoM says.

"Red's hair is as breathtaking as a flock of wild cardinals taking flight from a noble hillock." -- sadie

Wrestlerjunkee

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 01:11:24 PM »
Nope just pointing out that it is a server side issue thats all. 

Offline RedEnforcer

• God Member
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 02:31:12 PM »
Yes, what Anna suggested is just good computing practices everyone should follow and also try when they feel their system is "slow" before going out and paying to get it looked at. Also, you would be surprised at what programs decide to run at startup which really does slow down your computer.  Anyways, lemme take my tech hat off again.

Offline FEMMEFIGHT

• YaBB Administrator
  • God Member
  • I love catfights!
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 05:25:28 PM »
Oki, I'll ask Kaiden to have a look at this :-) I'll also check Chat over the weekend at various points of time to see if I can prompt the error myself

Wrestlerjunkee

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 10:26:56 PM »
Thank you John for taking a look at it.  I would recommend if this is not on a dedicated server it should be.  Depending on what browser you are running, Firefox is notorious to chew up TONS of RAM if left on for more than a few hours.  I would recommend using internet exploder (latest version of 9) or Chrome.  I use Chrome myself and am very happy with the browser.