News:

COMMERCIAL SITES: Please note - if WANT A BANNER LINK? displayed on this site, please contact FEMMEFIGHT

What is a fave movie. You could watch over, and over again??

• 529 Replies

Offline stormbolt7

• God Member
What is a fave movie. You could watch over, and over again??
« on: October 05, 2012, 07:22:06 AM »
Yes, you may add more than one. As well as maybe what and why, you love it.
Getting this started.

Have to admit, most recent has to be the Avengers movie.  Just seemed very well done. Balance between all the characters. Action, some definate humor now and then. ALSO being honest. I think (Probably get this wrong) Coby Smulders .. think it is. As a main shield agent. Looked EVERY bit as hot. Yet with out the hype given to Black Widows actress, and character.

Comedy .. lot of the Mel Brooks movies. One good thing about them. So much going on, even in the back ground. You can watch them several times. YET now and then still. Find something or a gag. You did not catch before.

Historical .. WISH this would find it's way onto dvd. George Washington mini series. With Barry Bostwick. Think it was a GREAT epic.
A LOT of real characters, from the time period. Around his life, and the revolutionary war.
PLUS .. was not all. OH he was so good .. NOPE gave a balanced portrayal. Of his being human, mistakes, and how he grew. From a simple farm boy type background, at family home. To become general, and finally president.
Including a LOT of the intrigue, and dangerous politics, and rivals he had to deal with. As many old mini series, now on dvd.
I think this is a MUST, for a historical footnote, and look. At the people, and ideologies. From that time, that helped birth the nation.

OK  Add this as well .. LOVE Lord of the Rings Trilogy  Looking forward to the Hobbit of course. YET wish movies like these.. as well as something like Twister. Always had a movie size screen to enjoy them with. Some movies, as good as they are. Just seem so much better. When able to see them this way... While others not that major a factor. Between movie or tv screen.

Anyone else??  As you can see.. open to more than one area..... as well as reasons, and whys of what makes the movie enjoyable for you.

Storm

Offline Gaelle

• God Member
  • I'm the one in red of course *winks*
Re: What is a fave movie. You could watch over, and over again??
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 10:58:22 AM »
For me it is The Mists of Avalon with Anjelica Houston and Juliana Miguenes.  It is a beautiful movie, close of the Marion Zimmer Bradley's books.  Morgan le Fay is not depicted as the wicked witch we know but more as a pagan priestress who tries to fight the christian intolerance and raising power;  I love it.
Lady Gaelle

Offline HB

• God Member
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 06:52:17 PM »
I've watched Steven Spielberg's Jaws over 100 times since 1975. Recently watched it again on Blu Ray, an absolutely perfect thriller.

I watch Chinatown once a year usually.

Offline stormbolt7

• God Member
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 06:54:26 AM »
Have got to add Tombstone as well ....  Lot of classic lines, and scenes from it ...  Remember Doc Holiday having most of them.... Why Johhny Ringo, you look like someone just walked all over your grave.. 

You know HB .. Gaelle is sound to me. Like StarBear.. More to this lady than meets the eye. A very smart sounding lady here!!

Oh and Woww .. Wonder how many times. That poor gal, has been viewed being a tasty tidbit for Jaws. Her infamous skinny dipping or bikini great white hors derv (Yeahh probably spelled that wrong..)  CHOMP ..

Storm

Offline StarBear

• God Member
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 04:40:42 PM »
OMG there are so many. I agree Avengers was amazing.

I love the first Pirates of the Caribbean.  The right blend of comedy, action, and wonderful camera shots to tell the perfect story. 

The same could be said of The Princess Bride for me too. *giggles*
While you practice to get it right, I practice to never get it wrong.

Offline stormbolt7

• God Member
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 06:08:57 PM »
OMG there are so many. I agree Avengers was amazing.

I love the first Pirates of the Caribbean.  The right blend of comedy, action, and wonderful camera shots to tell the perfect story. 

The same could be said of The Princess Bride for me too. *giggles*

Agree original Pirates of Caribbean movie classic. Just cast, scenes, and pace. Everything just seemed to click. 
Princess Bride ...  YEAHHH!!  Get out of here or I will call the Brute squad!!  "I'm on the Brute squad"(Andre the Giant)  Looking at him.. "You ARE the Brute squad"!!

TWO movie quotes for STARBEAR ....  see if she catches them  he he he ....
I can easily see some guy, being shoved down a hill by StarBear. While saying...  As you wish!!

Then of course Avengers ...  Huhhh Puny god!!  LOL  LOVE that scene!!

Storm

Offline PaulineG

• God Member
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 06:39:20 PM »
For me there is one film I watch whenever they re show it "The Adventures of Robin Hood" It was the first technicolour film and one of the first things I saw in colour when the BBC switched from black and white ( yes I am that old) Errol Flynn and Basil Rathbone in their prime one of the best sword fights ever (for me only the duel in the Princess Bride where both fighters switch hands halfway through comes close) but also I love the cowardly Sheriff of Nottingham who on hitting on the brilliant plan of holding an archery contest to capture Robin Hood knowing he will win it promptly wagers a "100 Marks on Phillip of Arras" judging by looks on both Claude Rains (Prince John) and Basil Rathbone's faces that it was an ad lib! There have been other Robin Hood films that might be better acted or more grittily realistic but to me they are pale imitations of the original.

I also wore out my copy of McVicar not great cinema but it does star Roger Daltrey who even now can turn turn my knees to jelly!

Offline LoveSexyJobbers

• God Member
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 09:09:03 PM »
There is 1 movie & 1 movie only that stands out like a sore thumb , Grease 2 , YEAH RIGHT , even the stars who made it ( Michelle Pfieffer & Maxwell Caufeild ) regret doing so .

For me , I love watching Zombieland , The Patriot , Apollo 13 , & The Last of the Mohicians to name a few , but lastly , watch over & over again , 24 hours of A Christmas Story on TBS on Xmas  ;D " You'll Shoot Your Eye Out Kid " Merry Xmas ,  Ho - Ho - Ho - Ho !  ;D ;D ;D
You never grow old until you stop being young

Offline BigDevil

• YaBB Administrator
  • God Member
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 12:35:15 AM »
Scarface, Independence Day Kill Bill vol 1 and 2 to name a few
Have fun and tussle.

Offline marydfights

• God Member
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2012, 07:43:29 AM »
A few favourites of mine.

Gallipoli

Beaches

The Power of One

The Last Waltz

All are very different yet each manages to strike a chord without being pretentious.

mary xxx
friends are those who stay and wait for an answer after asking how you are.

Offline stormbolt7

• God Member
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 10:09:42 PM »
For me there is one film I watch whenever they re show it "The Adventures of Robin Hood" It was the first technicolour film and one of the first things I saw in colour when the BBC switched from black and white ( yes I am that old) Errol Flynn and Basil Rathbone in their prime one of the best sword fights ever (for me only the duel in the Princess Bride where both fighters switch hands halfway through comes close) but also I love the cowardly Sheriff of Nottingham who on hitting on the brilliant plan of holding an archery contest to capture Robin Hood knowing he will win it promptly wagers a "100 Marks on Phillip of Arras" judging by looks on both Claude Rains (Prince John) and Basil Rathbone's faces that it was an ad lib! There have been other Robin Hood films that might be better acted or more grittily realistic but to me they are pale imitations of the original.

I also wore out my copy of McVicar not great cinema but it does star Roger Daltrey who even now can turn turn my knees to jelly!

{PAULINE .. being totally honest here ... Changing my movie stock, from old vhs to dvd. Robin Hood was on of the first. Classic good against evil tale. As well as a very nice blend of comedy (The dual with Fryer Tuck). With the sword fights and Drama. I think Ivanhoe, with Robert Taylor. A nice companion to that movie. Usually after watching one of them. Have to watch the other soon after.}

Robin Hood and Princess bride together ... INCONCEIVABLE!! (sorry could not resist. Fans of Princess Bride will get that.) YET both very enjoyable movies!!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 10:11:28 PM by stormbolt7 »

Offline PaulineG

• God Member
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2012, 10:33:05 PM »
Funny you should mention Ivanhoe Storm, as I watched that when it was shown a couple of weekends ago too! I think Sir Walter Scott missed a trick though he should have had Ivanhoe sentenced to death and Rebecca and Rowena fight over him (perhaps a subject for some more artwork). Which reminds me of another really good film adaptation of a Walter Scott novel that has another very different sword fight in it, "Rob Roy" Liam Neeson is solid as the hero but Tim Roth is deliciously evil and steals the film.

I asked my husband what film can he watch over and over he ummed and ahhed for a few minutes before deciding it was a coin toss between the "Great Escape" and "Its a Wonderful Life" and then said "Zulu" he must have the only three sided coin in the world!

Offline stormbolt7

• God Member
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 08:19:01 AM »

Gallipoli

Beaches

The Power of One

The Last Waltz

All are very different yet each manages to strike a chord without being pretentious.

mary xxx

Gallipoli .. which war is this based on?? Also isn't their more than one version of this?? An original and another one maybe made in the 90'S?? 
Have not seen it, so more info please!!

Storm

Offline PaulineG

• God Member
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 01:53:06 PM »
Gallipoli starred Mel Gibson and is the tale of the Australian Light Horse regiment and their part in the ill fated Dardanelles offensive of 1915 (asked my husband if it involves war or soldiers he knows)

Offline marydfights

• God Member
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 02:34:12 PM »

Gallipoli

Beaches

The Power of One

The Last Waltz

mary xxx

Gallipoli .. which war is this based on?? Also isn't their more than one version of this?? An original and another one maybe made in the 90'S?? 
Have not seen it, so more info please!!

Storm

WW1, the coming of age of Australia as the Anzacs are sent to fight the turks.
Has a young Mel Gibson in it as a supporting actor.

"Two Australian sprinters face the brutal realities of war when they are sent to fight in the Gallipoli campaign in Turkey during World War I."

mary xxx
friends are those who stay and wait for an answer after asking how you are.