News:

PRODUCERS & OTHER FORUMS SITES: Please note - you MUST HAVE A RECIPROCAL LINK back to this site is you wish to ADVERTISE your site on this forum. If you do not have a link back to us, we will remove your posts with immiediate effect - 25th April 2010

New Format Sucks

• 19 Replies

Offline tommyfighter

• God Member
New Format Sucks
« on: June 13, 2019, 02:31:18 PM »
This new format requires me to wade through a lot of crap to find what I really want to read. Change it back!! It takes too long to find anything now.

Offline Sinful Senorita Carmen

• God Member
Re: New Format Sucks
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 06:33:46 PM »
There is some sort of bug happening.  It goes back and forth.  It did that to me the other day too where it wouldn't show who posted what.  I am doing a message board match and I would have to open the whole match up and scroll down just to see if my opponent replied.  I complained about it, then 30 min later it went back to being good.

Then it did it yesterday again, went to where you couldn't see who was replying for about an hour, now it is fine again.  I am not sure if someone in admin is messing around updating stuff or if there is a bug that causes that.  Currently it is working fine though.

Offline BigDevil

• YaBB Administrator
  • God Member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 09:26:04 PM »
When we went to this theme it was so that we could make the forum mobile device friendly.
We posted about it and let all the members know why we switched to this theme. And let everyone know they can switch back to the old theme if they choose.
To do that go to your profile then click on "modify profile" go down to look and layout, There you will see at the top it says current theme "Exodus" click on change then on the second theme the one that says "SMF Default Theme - Curve"  click on where it says "use this theme"
Have fun and tussle.

Offline Nutmeg

• YaBB Administrator
  • God Member
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 09:28:53 PM »
I would also add there is no recent (like in the last week) format and I haven't seen a single thing resembling what you are describing on my end.

• God Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 10:00:13 PM »
Meg if t pops up again I will screen shot it, not sure if it is a browser issue that maybe Tommy and I have.  Whatever it is it doesn't last long. 

What I was experiencing was you couldn't see on the main page the most recent replies of the posts, so you would have to open the thread and scroll down to see the most recent reply, which was time consuming.

Offline BigDevil

• YaBB Administrator
  • God Member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 10:12:07 PM »
Meg if t pops up again I will screen shot it, not sure if it is a browser issue that maybe Tommy and I have.  Whatever it is it doesn't last long. 

What I was experiencing was you couldn't see on the main page the most recent replies of the posts, so you would have to open the thread and scroll down to see the most recent reply, which was time consuming.

Are you using a phone or tablet and if so are you switching between mobile device and a computer?
Have fun and tussle.

Offline tommyfighter

• God Member
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 10:18:50 PM »
When we went to this theme it was so that we could make the forum mobile device friendly.
We posted about it and let all the members know why we switched to this theme. And let everyone know they can switch back to the old theme if they choose.
To do that go to your profile then click on "modify profile" go down to look and layout, There you will see at the top it says current theme "Exodus" click on change then on the second theme the one that says "SMF Default Theme - Curve"  click on where it says "use this theme"

Thanks, I prefer Curve over Exodus. I missed the post where you informed us of the change.

• God Member
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 10:29:26 PM »
I've been using the same laptop for each instance of it going the bad way and the normal way

Offline BigDevil

• YaBB Administrator
  • God Member
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 10:34:58 PM »
I've been using the same laptop for each instance of it going the bad way and the normal way

Ok if you don't log into the site you wont see the "new" next to the sections with new posts. But as soon as you log in you will see them.
If your using a laptop and don't like the theme you can switch to the old theme.
Have fun and tussle.

• God Member
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2019, 12:48:56 AM »
I was logged in the whole time.  It seemed like it would switch out of the blue for no apparent reason.  I couldn't see anything to fix it.  I would log out and log back in and it would still be that way.  Leave for 20 min and then it would be back the correct way when I returned

Offline Sierra

• Fighting Solves Everything!
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2019, 10:04:27 PM »
  I have not had the problem so I must not use the features in question.  Perhaps I can offer an objective viewpoint.  I see complaints from several users.  Then I see explanations from administrators.  The explanation seems to be that in an attempt to make the forum "mobile device usable" they have made the forum "laptop unfriendly" for some features.  This happens with many websites, not just this catfight forum.  What I don't understand is why sites do this.  Why not make the effort to program the site so it is mobile device friendly without destroying the ability to access via laptops?  After all, the laptops and pc's were first and are what built the website. 

If the mobile devices are completely incompatible (not merely complicated to format/program) with laptops, then continue the existing site and post instructions for mobile device users to do a complicated change instead of telling laptop users to "go to X and do something".  Those voicing complaints state the problem was intermittent - coming and going.  This indicates that they made the directed change at some point but it doesn't "stick".   The presumption is that every time any change is made, it cancels out the decision by the laptop users to use the previous format.  Once the option to use the previous format is selected, it should not be necessary to re-select it every time a user signs on.  The law of "unintended consequences" will prevail and eventually the laptop users will stop accessing the site.  I understand the website wants the younger demographic which is "mobile device only" for the most part, but it seems silly to make things difficult for long time laptop users.  If the mobile device users are actually that numerous and the systems cannot be programmed to be compatible, then operate two sites. 

Offline Nutmeg

• YaBB Administrator
  • God Member
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2019, 12:15:51 AM »
One of the biggest frustrations in running this site is the amazing amount of misinformation its members manufacture.

At no time was the new theme to make a laptop/desktop incompatible with the site. From what I have seen on this site our members seem to define "incompatible" as "taking two seconds more than before " When we were given the adnin duties all we heard from some members was how out of date the site was and changes needed to be made. When those changes were made the same members bitched that we changed things that didn't need to be changed.

The idea of not making a site more mobile friendly because it was "built" on tech that fewer people use than before is like saying Ford should stick to cars with few safety features, low speeds and bad gas mileage since the Model T is what "built" it.

The change to another theme isn't "long complicated process" it takes 30 seconds. And most certainly does stick. I have made that change months ago and used multiple devices and never experienced it "not sticking" I would suggest the issue is an issue with the computer in question and beyond the scope of the admin team to deal with since it doesn't seem to be a site issue. Try different browsers.

And this " Why not make the effort to program the site so it is mobile device friendly without destroying the ability to access via laptops?  After all, the laptops and pc's were first and are what built the website.  "

How dare you. The two people who worked on that spent weeks of their free time working on that with out pay or thanks. Instead they get smug observations from someone who thinks the site are run by idiots who aren't trying to make it the best world for both.

I didn't work on that project . And even if I could have I wouldn't because I would see this sort of garbage comment coming a mile away. I'm a veteran so I already get treated like shit for doing stuff on behalf of others. I never wanted to be thanked for my service I just didn't want to feel like a fool for having done it at all.

As we have gotten feedback changes have been made where we can. But unfounded accusations really reduces that desire. Our budget for everything is zero. The ads on the site barely pay for the operating costs so please don't act like we can hire someone to rewrite the entire software for the site.

End of the day you can use the old theme or the new one. When viewed as a visitor it defaults to the new theme , Log in if you want the old one. It isn't that hard. Carmen's issue sounds like an isolated one since we haven't had others like it and it looks like her theme is the new one Exodus. Under Looks and Layout to go to the old one, Curve, Current theme, Change, select Curve and Use this theme

« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 12:30:18 AM by nutmeg »

• God Member
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2019, 01:55:49 AM »
The site is perfect as it is now, but something weird was happening like they were taking features away.  Not sure if it was a bug.  It only happened to me a couple times last week and it lasted 30 min at the most.  I wanted to screen shot what I was seeing when it went bad, but since then I have had no problems

• God Member
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2019, 02:37:38 PM »
It happened again this morning.  This is what I am getting.  I put a screen shot up

• God Member
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2019, 02:39:34 PM »
Here is a comparison as to how it should look, took the correct screen shot a couple days ago where it shows "last post by" etc
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 02:40:17 PM by Sinful Senorita Carmen »